Clicking Sounds Coming From My Case [Hard Drive Failure?]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, Mar 31, 2007.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

OKay well I bought a usb card a week ago which I assume was defective or incompatible with my system. Point blank it just did'nt work when I installed it to my pci slot. When I first installed the usb 2.0 pci card my pc would hang and I'd start to hear clicking sounds coming from inside my pc case. It actually sounded like making a clicking sound with your tongue. I kept having problems for about 20 mins after installing the card and heard the clicks once more. So all in all I only heard the inside of my case click about 4-6 times. I took the card out immediately after only being in my pc for 20 mins. I took the card back to the store yesterday and got it exchanged for the same one since they said the one I bought first could have been defective.

Anyways they also told me at the store that the clicking sounds could have beeen my hard drive(s). I have two hard drives in my system which are partitioned into a total of 4 parts. One thing I have to mention before I go on is that the hard drives I bought are western digital and I just bought them about 8 months ago. On top of that after I took out that badly working usb 2.0 pci card, I never heard the clicks again! & it's been a week!!! No clicks!!! I never even heard those clicks before in my life... Only when that usb card was in my system for 20 mins.

Okay well some people here on the site and some people at the store said to just be sure and check my hard drives for failure/errors even though I do not here the clicks anymore. They said to do it just to be sure. Some people said to look for software that can check them and some others said Xp has a built in program or something that can do so. Where/What do I go to or use to check my drives for failure/errors?

I have win xp and I also have a program called system mechanic 4 which I dunno but I think it can do that???

I don't care how long it takes to check/scan my drives or whatever I just want to be 100% sure my drives are fine before I put the new usb 2.0 card in my system that they gave me when I took the other one back.

Thanks

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds