Clickoff vers 1.90...

Discussion in 'Software' started by p060477, Apr 23, 2015.

1. p060477

p060477 Private First Class

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. p060477

4. Eldon

5. p060477

do you know a similar tool free for win 8 64 bit..?
    cheers!

6. Eldon

Sorry, can't help you. It seems to be a one of a kind program. But, give it some time. The software forum has some very knowledgable members.

FYI The author of ClickOff wrote the program after using BuzOff which costs $19,95. It's available on CNET but has less features.

http://download.cnet.com/Buzof/3000-2072_4-10010421.html

Take care when downloading from CNET!

7. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

ClickOff may not work with Win 8.1 but it appears to work with Win 7 (x64), at least it does here. A quote from the developer's FAQ list.
    Is "Clickoff.exe" listed in the process list of Task Manager?
    Are you receiving any error messages?
    Did you install ClickOff with elevated privileges?
    Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

8. p060477

hi!

the very strange thing is this:

i have the -portable- folder and if i leave it on my desktop and i set the win 8.1 task scheduler to run at start up the process clickoff.exe
    from the path:c\users\name\desktop\clickoff1.90\clickoff.exe all WORKS very fine..BUT
    if i copy that folder also in my d:\DESKTOP and i create a new task ,disabling the previous, and i choose the new path:
    d\DESKTOP\clickoff1.90\clickoff.exe it does not work at all..
    i mean that at start up the icon appear in systray BUT if i clickm it is the
    default german language vers. , and it is not possible at all choose any other language or have the tool workin on the pop up adds and so on..

if i disable this new task and re-enable the previous one, the one in c\users... the tool works fine, and is also possible to swith the language in italian, or brazilian,or french, or english..

where is the bug..??
    ..where is my fault..??!!

i'd like to have it , i mean its folder not on my desktop but in my D:\ partition , in order to have less folders as possible on my c\users\..desktop..
    so how could i be able to solve this strange matter..??!

thanx in adv for yr kind patience..!!

cheers!!

:)

9. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

An experiment -

Create one directory such as C:\users\username\PortableAppls\clickoff1.90\clickoff.exe and schedule the task from that pathway. Remove all other references & old file locations, re-boot and test. (Keeps another folder off the desktop and puts appl on same partition as operating system.)

10. Eldon

To add to dr.moriarty post...
    ClickOff will not work from another partition, it has to be on the same partition as Windows.
    I have all my portable apps in C:\Portable.

11. p060477

hi and thanxs so much indeed!

probably this is a feature of the win task scheduler cause also the 2 other schedule tasks i've: speedfan and gpu-z have their paths in c\

..a strange thing is also that the speedfan task only works if i delete the option:run as admin, the other 2 instead,clickoff and gpu-z on the contrary
    i've to flag the opt run as admin..very strange behaviour..isn't it..!!??

cheers!

12. Eldon

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  13. p060477

hi!

there is no way to solve this mistery..:

i move the clickoff folder to c\programs file (x86),
    where i have all my installed prog, and also some portable as vlc and livestreamer..
    result: ..same issue
    so the problem is not the c\partition where is the win 8.1 s.o.

even if i create a new task naming it different but giving it the right first path:

c\users\username\desktop
    i have clickoff running only in deutsch and not working at all.., and doin it when the first and workin task is disabled..

only if i re-enable the first workin task and i run it it magically works..

to recap: i have only a task workin,the first created, with the clickoff folder on my desktop, if i disable it and try any other tasks on my c\ part, even the same a/m not work at all..

to have the last proof i will probably have to delete this my first and working task..but i'm not so brave enough..
    cause i've the terrible fear not to have any task workin at all..

thnxs so much ..also for yr kind patience..!!

cheers!

14. plastidust

p060477, what file did you originally run to set "Clickoff" up in the first place? There are two clickoff.exe files:
    • One, "clickoff.exe", is the setup file(337KB). The one you downloaded? Thumbnail (1).
    • Two, "Clickoff.exe", is the actual program(79.5KB). The one extracted during setup. Thumbnail (2).

Look in "Programs and Features" and see if "ClickOff version 1.90" is listed. If it is, think you will need to "Uninstall" it, might want to use | MG | Revo Uninstaller for that. Then follow the advice of Eldon or dr.moriarty and create a special folder, re-run the "clickoff.exe" setup file and choose the folder you created when you run the setup file.

Or you could choose the defaults(except for language) during setup and "Clickoff" will be setup in:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\ClickOff\Clickoff.exe​
    In either case, you will also need to modify your scheduled task to reflect the new setup.

Attached Files:

15. Eldon

Are you trying to run the portable version of ClickOff in Windows 8.1 64-bit?

The author says nothing about Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 64-bit. And now you want to create a Scheduled Task for a non-supported program?

16. plastidust

Pardon me for asking but, what "portable" version of Clickoff are we talking about? The clickoff.zip file from the developer's site?

I ask because the one downloaded via Major Geeks is a setup file for extracting and configuring the Clickoff program.

Also, what is this scheduled task suppose to do? After completing the clickoff.exe setup, Clickoff is set to launch automatically at Windows logon.

So, what am I missing?

17. Eldon

Look at posts #8 & 13.
    The OP should just download the installation file, change the setup file to run in compatability mode, and try to install it. And then run the executable in compatability mode.
    But, Windows 8.1 64-bit? And I'm just as confused regarding the scheduled task.

18. plastidust

According to post#8, it will run properly for p060477 in 8.1, as long as it's run from the folder it was installed to - the desktop in this case. It does run properly on my Win 7 (x64), but I'm not copying the installed folder and contents someplace else and then trying to run it from the new location.

It doesn't look like a truly "portable" application.
    Agreed.

Uninstall it, then re-install it to a folder of choice, somewhere besides the desktop as pointed out in post#10.
    Also no scheduled task is necessary since the installation routine will create a shortcut to Clickoff.exe and place it in the user's Startup folder.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out where the idea that it's a portable app came from.

19. Eldon

The more I read these posts the more confused I am.

Post #8
    Post #13
    This is why I thought it must be the portable version. Afterall, you can move such a folder but not an installation folder. And why install any application to a folder on the desktop? :confused

I think we'll have to wait for the OP to return.

20. p060477

i STILL have a task workin of clickoff..as i've written..and is on my c\users\username\desktop..
    BUT i'm not able to have it working if i change the path..even if i remain in c\ where is my s.o

21. p060477

..i'm running a -portable - vers that i've on my old pc and now i've put on my new win 8.1 c\users\..desktop

22. plastidust

Where did you download this "portable" version from?

23. p060477

i dl it many years ago for my old win xp pc..
    probably,but not sure at 100pct, from its author's site..

i'd like to use portable app as more as i can..

the very strange thing is that if i disable my 1st task,the one workin fine
    from my portable folder on my desktop,
    and i create a new task,with different name but with the -same- path
    c\user...desktop and i try to run it clickoff run in the default deutsche vers
    without the possibility of change the lang and moreover it really does not work at all..

i hope i clearify yr doubts..!!
    mine are still there..!!..:)

24. plastidust

Was Clickoff listed in "Programs and Features"?

25. p060477

of course no...it is really not installed on my pc...
    i check it on contr pannell but also with ccleaner...

26. plastidust

Did you try dr.moriarty's suggested experiment in Post#9?

I couldn't find any reference to a portable version of "Clickoff 1.90" at the developer's site. However, the "Clickoff.zip" file evidently is a portable version, but it does not seem to have any method that allows for choosing the lanquage or changing any of the other settings. Maybe command line parameters, but no documentation indicating such or showing what those might be.

The installed version places one entry in the registry, that I've found so far, and that is for the un-installer. Although other programs, such as |MG|-Privatefirewall, will place entries in the registry pertaining to Clickoff whether you use the installed version or a portable version.

I like portable applications too, but sometimes they just aren't the right choice.

27. p060477

the strange thing is: why if i run the task,1st, it opens in italian and of course also if i launch it from the my desktop folder..and if i try a 2nd task and put it -the same- path it opens in german and do not work..??

cheers!

28. p060477

if it could help in the portable folder there are only
    the .exe file,75kb created 29.12.2012 h:10.35
    the lang files
    .hwnd file with written in: 393268, opened with note block
    .cfg file ,also opened with note block, with written inside:
    1,100 Italiano.lng 1604,450,221,722,565,1

and thats all...

29. p060477

30. Eldon

The portable version of ClickOff is available on the authors website. Scroll down and download the ZIP file. It contains the executable (79.5 KB), a Readme, and a couple of language and getting_started files.

http://www.johanneshuebner.com/en/clickoff.shtml

Right-click the icon in the notification area (system tray), click Settings and select the language. Also click enable from the right-click menu.

FYI If you have to schedule a task, do it after, not before, deciding where you want the file. If you want ClickOff to start with Windows, drag it to the Startup folder on the Start Menu - then you don't need a scheduled task.

31. p060477

today i'll prove also the author's zip file
    but Yesterday i've proved with the portable vers i linked and done what you write without a task but putting it in the start up folder..
    it works in the sense that at start up it starts and in the lang i choose,ita.lang,
    but it does not work i mean that is not able to do its work..
    -if- i go in its security properties and i check run with admin power
    then it works BUT at the new start up it do not starts at all...

to recap: to have it started at start up it have to run without admin power
    but so it is not able to do its job
    if i flag the admin power in its sec.prop. then it does its job but
    is not more able to starts at start up....

what you think..??!

ps: i dragged to start up folder only the short cut to the .exe 75kb file..
    is it right..??..i Always done it on my xp..but this is win 8.1..who knows..??!!

cheers!

32. Eldon

I have just put a shortcut in the Startup Folder and it's not starting with Windows! I checked System Configuration and the startup shows. :confused

I'll create a task and see what happens. I'll be back later today.

33. p060477

in win 8.1 there are 2 start up folders,
    is one of its so many strange behaviours..at least for me..,
    ..one is in appdata-roaming-etc...

34. Eldon

I think I 've got it. I run Windows 7. I created a task for ClickOff to start with Windows and it's working. In Task Scheduler, on the General tab, check the box next to Run with highest privileges. And don't move the Clickoff file after creating the task.

35. p060477

in win 8 i've just tried this..but id does not work..probably because i've already a workin task..?..the one linked to the .exe which is in my c\users..desktop..?
    i've tried also disabling first it..
    the only thing i've not have the heart to do is to cancell the only task workin at this time..

cheers!!

36. p060477

Hi

..i've cancelled all traces on my pc of clickoff
    then i dl the zip file from author's site
    then i put it in c\prog files(x86) and extract it into a clickoff folder
    then i open it and set my lang and so on..then create the task..
    and at start up i got,as in the past, the picture i attached here..
    the app is in deutsch default lang and no working or usable at all..
    if i directly go to its folder in c\prog files etcc..and i open it directly
    i have the app working and in the setted languege..

where is my fault..??

could you pls help me in solve this little nightmare..??

cheers!!

Attached Files:

37. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

38. p060477

Hi and thxs so much!

doin this it starts and is changeable so suitable in choosing lang. etc..BUT..
    it really do not work..and the reason is that the file clickoff.exe of 75kb has to run with - admin power-...but if i only check this flag in its security opt. it really do not starts at all at win start up...

so it is true that we can do yr suggest way..and it seems,at first seeing so good.., but at the ends it really does not work..

have you tried it by yrselves with clickoff..??...

this nightmare seems to be unsolved...
    cheers!

39. Eldon

Don't be afraid to delete a task. In the right pane, before deleting the task, you can export it. Then, if the new task is not working, delete it and import the old task.

Did you check the box next to Run with highest privileges for the task?

Also, look at the screenshot. Right-click the ClickOff icon in the notification area and check Enable. And then click on Settings... and change the language to Italiano.lng.

Attached Files:

40. plodr

1. I do not run windows 8 so no I can not try it.
    I have exe inserted on my XP and Win 7 computers into the startup folder and the program runs every time I boot up.

2. I do not have clickoff downloaded.

41. Eldon

plodr, I thought I may have missed something and I checked the instructions in your link, and that's how I have always done it. But, ClickOff just doesn't want to start with Windows! And System Configuration shows it as a startup entry. It works when creating a task but that shouldn't be necessary.
    Your thoughts?
    I'm using Windows 7.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  42. p060477

thxs so much indeed again for yr kind patience!

i see the screen attach. ..and this is what i'm able to comfortably do if i run clickoff directly from its folder...but at the start up i always get the default detsch one with -no- possibility to set anything..as i've attach on my previous post..
    the possibility to export the task i know now..-after- deleting the only one that works for me..

the strange thing is that now i have again the folder on the desktop and i have created the -same- task that worked before..BUT..now incredibly it
    does not work at all...

for me this is a real nightmare...

where is my fault..??
    the way to add prog at start worked for me with xp and seven but NO with win 8.1..for speedfan and gpu-z i've been forced to create a task..

and so did for clickoff..and worked..then i wanted to put the folder in a different part of my pc..out of the desktop..and the nightmare begun..

what could i do now..??

thxs for yr kind helping!

cheers!

43. plodr

Eldon, sorry no thoughts. I don't have Clickoff and no desire to download and test.
    There is only one program aside from my av and malware detector that I want to start with windows.

Time to contact the developer and tell him the problems and see if he has a solution that works.
    http://www.johanneshuebner.com/en/index.shtml
    Unfortunately the last update was in 2012. Windows 8.1 came out 9 April 2014. A program can't be expected to work on an operating system/upgrade that appeared two years in the future.

44. p060477

hi!

i've contacted the develop. but up to now no reply..
    and i re-underline again that the prog works very fine in win 8.1
    BUT not at start up...BUT this is a problem NOT of the tool BUT of win 8.1
    infact also speedfan and gpu-z has to be put in tasks in order to start..

and i was able also to do a task, on my desktop, that worked also with clickoff..
    but i wanted to move it from the desktop to another part of my pc..and there the nightmare begins..

so pls do not continue writin that the problem is in the tool..
    is likely that was in me and my bad skill..but not in the tool..

cheers!!

45. p060477

at the very first acces to the exe lauching it i got:
    KANN NICHT AUF DIE CLICKOFF
    LISTE ZUGREIFEN

if it could help you...

46. plastidust

p060477, I don't know if this will work for you or not, it does for me in Win7 x64. This is going to be a variation of dr.moriarty's suggestion in post #9.
    You are going to be creating a new folder named:
    C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\ClickOff\
    In this folder you will need to place copies of the files:
    clickoff.cfg, clickoff.lst and clickoff.hwnd

The startup shortcut should be located in:
    C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ClickOff.lnk
    If the "Clickoff.exe" file location is: C:\Program Files (x86)\ClickOff\Clickoff.exe, then the startup shortcut should look like the first attached "properies" thumbnail. If it still doesn't work, take a look at the second attached "properties compatibility" thumbnail.

Attached Files:

47. p060477

first so many thxs indeed!

i follow yr guide step by step:

1) if i'm in yr 1à jpg attach the tool starts at start up BUT does not work

2) if i make the changes showed in yr 2à jpg attach the tool does work fine BUT does really not start at start up at all..i've always to start it manually
    by clicking on its exe launch file...

to recap this is the exact behaviour if i try the -start up menu- way
    if instead i try the task scheduler way i got the tool running at start but in its default deutsch lang and no changeable at all..if i click on its launch exe manually the tool works very fine...

for me its a real nightmare...

cheers!

48. p060477

..i think the only help useful should be someone running win 8.1..
    with other s.o the tool works in different way..as so many others..

cheers!!

49. p060477

probably win 8.1 is at this time not so famous enough..!!...

cheers!!

50. Eldon

One last time... because this thread is longer than the source code of ClickOff.
    Install ClickOff and create a task. If it doesn't work, it's in all probability because the program was never written for Windows 8.1 64-bit. The author doesn't even know if it runs in Windows Vista or 7... :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds