client computer can only browse www.google.com?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ngaichuen, May 27, 2004.

1. ngaichuen

ngaichuen Private E-2

i setup a small office network at home with 2 of my computer (currently using 512 adsl connection), both running xp pro, the normal file sharing works just fine, my host computer can browse the internet without any problem but the client computer i got can only browse google.com (or search inside), other sites doesn't work.

i am wondering if i briged the right connections..( i m a newbie to networking) or i forgot to configue something

following is my network connection page

Broadband
    -ADSL connection

Lan or High-speed internet
    -ADSL modem

Network Bridge
    -Network Bridge (Network Bridge) 3
    -1394 connection
    -Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

If anyone knows the solution please tell me!!! many thanks

2. Metamorphousthe

Metamorphousthe Private E-2

read all this because i am just throughing options out without them necessaril;y being in any order

are the searches with google fresh searches or is it relying on cache? in other words, acutally search something with google that you have never searched before to see if it is accessing the internet or relying on cache. then try to click on the hyperlinks provided. it's interesting that it would be a fresh search to google and you can't access anything else.

check your ip on the local area network, your host should be 192.168.0.1 with the same for gateway and your client should be 192.168.0.2 with the gateway 192.168.0.1. for both leave the subnet the default it wants to use.

make sure that the firewall on the host and client accept each others ip

dabble a little with the trusted zone settings (being those on the local area network)

depending on whether you are crossover or using a hub (and depending on the speed of your hub) you might have to check your lan configuration for speed

also check your internet options security settings

if all else fails, disconnect your client from the host and rerun the network wizard and set your ip and such the connect the client and do the same.

see what happens from there.

sometimes since i use a firewall, i turn off the internet connection sharing fireall that comes with MS which you will find in your properties of your isp. also check in that same area for the option to share the internet connection with other on the lan

3. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

It might be a DNS error. Google is likely cached. Try a few nslookups on the client. You might even try taking the DNS servers your host has from the configuration and manually entering them in the client.

4. granddads_rover

granddads_rover Private E-2

Hi

I have the same problem - I tried the fixes listed above but they did not work - can someone tell me what the fix for this is?

cheers

granddads_rover

5. Metamorphousthe

Metamorphousthe Private E-2

if you are using a proxy, flush the cache on the gateway and/or proxy settings

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds