Clntmgmt.sys file fails to load

Discussion in 'Software' started by LCIcontroller, Mar 12, 2009.

1. LCIcontroller

LCIcontroller Private E-2

Event viewer shows "Clntmgmt.sys boot-start system-start failed to load". from source-service control manager, event=7026. Computer starts normally but then a few minutes later, windows locks up. Mouse and keyboard still function but screen is locked. Fairly new system 3.0 ghz proc., 1.5 gb RAM, OS is XP Pro, 250GB HD. When this happens, must do a hard shutdown and restart. Any help, ideas, suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

This is Compaq Client Management driver. Since it is a fairly new computer, I'd suggest contacting HP/Compaq to get it resolved.

3. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Can you post the name and model of your pc

4. LCIcontroller

hp compaq d530 short form factor

5. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

LCI, You have several options you can go with.
    I'm going to mention a few so it's going to be your choice.

1. You can go to this link Client Management software support and attempt to get support for your product from HP

2.You can go to this link Download HP CMI maybe if you re installed it it will repair itself. If you choose this route you may have to boot in safe mode if it boot in safe mode see if you have internet connection if so then go to the link provided and re download the program.

3. You can try to delete it and the re download. from the above link. The only problem with trying to delete it is that it came bundled with your computer software and I have no way of telling if this program is integrated with some other Compaq program. Doing this may cause more problems than you have now or it may not..
    If you do decide to delete it. Start your computer in safe mode go through add and remove programs locate the program and remove it. This is the safest way to remove any program from your computer because it's supposed to take care in not removing any other important file.
    After it's removed restart in normal mode and see if your computer starts normally. If it does and you install need CMI go back to the link in #2 and re download it to your computer..
    Post back if this works or not and let us know if this resolved your problem. If not hopefully someone else read this post and has a better suggestion..

6. LCIcontroller

I'll let you know buggabear. Thanks !

7. LCIcontroller

Buggabear, gave it a shot. First, thru search, computer does not find Clntmgmt.sys anywhere. Downloaded files from site. No help. I'll keep looking, I really appreciate the help. If anything else comes to mind, let me know. Thanks again !!!

8. weegs

weegs Private E-2

I had a very similar experience with HP 6930p laptops and HP DC5800 desktops.... Clntmgmt.sys driver would cause blue-screens and (about half the time) would send the computer into a B/S loop.
    I DID find the file under System32\Drivers, and I could boot into safe mode, get rid of the file and clean the Reg a bit and the computer would run fine for a day or two. Then, same problem.
    Turned out it was an Altiris program that would scan nightly and push the file back, if it wasn't already there. We had all Altiris services disabled, so this was very frustrating. Anyways, we stopped Altiris from pushing out to Workstations and everything has been stable since and the Clntmgmt.sys driver has not returned.... Doesn't solve the rpoblem of why the driver was causing problems in the first place, but it's a fix!
    Good luck!

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I never heard of Altiris so I googled. Oh my, it is part of Symantec. I'm not real surprised that it might cause problems. (Is my bias against Symantec showing?)

10. LCIcontroller

Thanks Weegs, I'll follow this up and let you know how it turns out. Again, many Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds