Clock speed troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by protypex, Aug 22, 2004.

1. protypex

protypex Private E-2

I built a pc with an AMD XP 3000+ CPU and a Gigabyte Mobo with 512 MB of PC 2100 DDR RAM. Under windows, it shows the computer frequency at 1.3 GHZ when it should show something like 2.25 GHZ for the XP 3000+ chip. I went into BIOS and under Frequency/Voltage control I tried to increase the FSB speed. Default was set at 100mhz and the max is 132mhz (why is that the max by the way?). Anyway, my comp won't run when I set it to 132mhz, so I've been trying to play around with the speed with no luck. There is also another option where I can increase CPU by a certain % so I increased it 10% (max setting) and it didn't make a difference. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.

2. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

I've got the 3200 and FSB is suppose to be at 200, not sure so don't take my word for it but I think the 3000 is suppose to be at 166. So my humble guess is, your Mobo won't support the 3000, basing that guess on the fact that you can't even get to 166 on your FSB. Sure don't know why it won't run at the 132 though?
    Also if you are going to increase multipliers or what ever to get more speed you might want to ask in the overclocking section for tips.
    Oh my 3200 AMD runs at 2192 MHZ with the 200 FSB and 1833 with the 166 FSB

3. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

I was just looking at the specs for my mobo and it calls for 3200 DDR memory, don't know if having that 2100 is why you can't run higher clock speeds or not. Hopefully somebody will come along and fix your problem and make me look stupid :)

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

What is the model of your motherboard? Since the maximum FSB is 133, chances are, it doesn't support the 3000+ which runs at either 166, or 200 FSB. And the reason it won't run at 132Mhz is because you are essentially overclocking it. Either the memory, or the motherboard can't handle it.

5. protypex

protypex Private E-2

I have a Gigabyte RZ series motherboard model number 7VT600-RZ(-C) with the VIA KT600 chipset. In the manual under CPU it states that the mobo supports 1.4GHZ and faster. I bought the CPU and mobo as a bundle from Fry's Electronics. This bundle special was advertised, so if the mobo in fact does not support the AMD 3000 CPU, then many people will be upset because they sold out on that special. Anyway, if you need more info let me know. I appreciate your help, thanks.

6. protypex

protypex Private E-2

I discovered that my problem was a stupid jumper on the mobo the I had to remove to increase my FSB. When the jumper is in place it locks the FSB to 100mhz. No jumper sets it to auto, and I can go from there. Anyway, my computer now detects my Athlon XP 3000+ CPU, but my problems are only beginning. My CPU began to get too hot and shuts down once it reaches approx. 63*C. I had a nice Cooler Master Jet heatsink with a fan speed controller. At max speed the fan hit 3500 RPM with airflow rating of about 26CFM. Although, this fan supposedly can handle the athlon xp 3000+ chip, I returned it anyway and bought a different fan. Now I have a Thermaltake TR2-M2 and my comp still shuts down due to high cpu temp. Temp is still hitting 63*C. Here are the specs on the TR2-M2 fan:

Airflow: 35.5CFM
    Fan Speed: 5600RPM +- 10%

The box says it will support Athlon XP 3400+ CPU, so what gives? My thought about increasing my CPU shutdown temperature in BIOS but it doesn't have an option for it under PC Health Status. It's an award BIOS. My old American Megatrends BIOS let me set the shutdown temp, so should I flash my BIOS to latest version which may have that as a new option, and should I even want to increase my shutdown temp? I don't know what else to do. My case has good airflow with 2 80mm rear fans sucking air out. I even opened case and put a huge house fan in front of it and it still didn't work. Should I just toss Motherboard and buy a new one? Someone help me please!

7. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Don't think I'd want to increase shut down trmp. It's to early to think right now but 63c is hot.
    Did you undo all the tinkering you did before the jumper? Try resetting your bios and starting again, I hope that will do it for you.

8. Warcat14

Warcat14 Private E-2

Did you put any cooling paste between the processor and the cooling block?

9. protypex

protypex Private E-2

Yeah I have thermal compound on there. Right now I'm running the CPU at 1.49GHz so it doesn't get hot enough to shut down.

10. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Are you getting these temps from EasyTune? When I first got this Gigabyte board the EasyTune utility wouldn't give the right temps, fan speeds or anything. I installed the latest Via Drivers & wahlah all was good.

Just a shot in the dark.

P.S. In my experience the Award BIOS that comes on Gigabyte boards doesn't allow you to adjust the shutdown temp. Blows huh?

11. protypex

protypex Private E-2

I haven't been using Easy Tune, all the numbers are coming straight from the PC Health Status screen in the BIOS.

[​IMG]

12. protypex

protypex Private E-2

Does anyone else here have the Athlon XP 3000+ and if so, what is your cooling method? Do you have problems with this chip as I am? If you aren't having problems, do you think my motherboard is somehow causing it to run hot? Anything will help me right now, cause I'm ready to either try to return my chip and mobo to Fry's or just run it at a slower speed. Thanks for taking the time to help me with this.

13. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

I've got the 3200 and have trouble with it since day one. It's suppose to run at 200 MHZ FSB but it won't for long. I had to set the FSB to 166 and it runs fine. I also over clocked it to run at 2158 MHZ which is close to what it's suppose to run at. I've replaced or swapped out (bigger) power supply, heat sink, memory, hard drives , video card, cd roms, floppys, case. There is nothing to be done that hasn't been done but it won't run at a 200 FSB where it's suppose to. I disabled most services, there's no start up items, drivers are right, I've re-flashed re-loaded and got nothing done.
    All this to say that you can fight the one you have forever but if it's like mine there is nothing you can do. If you can send it back send it back!!!!!

14. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

One thing, what do you have the memory clock speed set to? If you have the memory set equal to the FSB of the system, the computer will almost definitely shut down because the memory can't handle 200Mhz. PC2100 memory is only rated to run at 133Mhz, so 200 is quite a big jump. It might be what is shutting your comp down rather than the CPU temps. Just something else to check out before you send the CPU back.

15. protypex

protypex Private E-2

I have the memory clock set to auto which is running at either 100mhz or 133mhz, I don't remember right now. I can't check cause I'm on my laptop and my desktop is unplugged and taken apart, but it is definitely set to auto.

16. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I have a 3000+ same as you, runs at 166Mhz (about 2.2 Ghz multiplied). It does run hot, and I've found that about 55-65 is quite normal. I've had this thing running at 80C before and its been just fine. You can increase the shutdown value to about 75-80 if you like. Make sure you apply the thermal paste right and put the heatsink on the right way! I use an Aero 7+ HS/F, works great.

Hmm, an interesting dilema. You tried flashing your BIOS? Really, the board should have support for up to 400Mhz CPU's from the factory, but evidently it doesn't.
    [​IMG]
    Take a look.

Did you press Ctrl + F1 to unhide advanced settings#?

17. protypex

protypex Private E-2

I pressed Ctrl + F1 and "Top Performance" popped up and that was it. I enabled top performance. I would love to adjust my shutdown temperature but I don't think my bios has an option for it. From your screenshot it looks like you have the same bios as me, so I'm wondering, do you have an option that let's you increase the shutdown temp? If I update my BIOS, will that give me an option to increase shutdown temp? I would like to increase my shutdown temp to 75-80 like you said. Please let me know any information you might have that would help me. Thank you very much for your time.

18. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

What model is the Gigabyte board? Maybe there is indeed a BIOS Update. Look up your model to see if there is anything available.

19. protypex

protypex Private E-2

20. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Probably a good idea. Being at the latest bios version never hurt anyone.

BTW that screenshot was from a review of the board, I didnt take it ;)

Can you find the page which I posted in that image?

21. cjshrader

cjshrader Private E-2

I'm having the exact same problem protypex is having. The moment I remove the jumper and try to boot up, the computer will try for about 1-2 seconds before turning off, and usually won't turn back on unless I let it sit for a moment.

I don't have any special cooling equipment (Just the heatsink/fan on the processor), but I'd imagine I wouldn't need any. I'm not trying to overclock...just get it to run at the speed it's supposed to.

Any suggestions? protypex, did you ever try upgrading the bios?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds