Cloned Win7 to usb external drive to different computer - blue screen - Missing keys?

Discussion in 'Software' started by timez, Dec 14, 2013.

1. timez

timez Private E-2

Hi,

I am trying to fix my neighbors computer...

The hard drive connection failed so I was advised on a forum to forget about trying to replace that and to get a usb external hdd enclosure and use that.

However as you prob already know you cannot install windows 7 to an external usb drive.

I ended up installing it on a VM (VM-Ware 10) then running sysprep then cloning it to the usb drive using acronos.

The hardware is different too - coming from a VM to an old Eversham Voyager

--------

I am now having major problems - it started to boot up then blue screened (0x0000007B)

trying safe mode it crashes at disk.sys.

--------

I have tried these solutions:

First check to see if your machines even have this installed:

1. Open regedit

2. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services

3. See if the "AtiPcie" key exists

4. If it does, see if the "Start" value under that key == 0 (zero means load @ boot)

If that key doesn't exist, my fix won't fix your issue :-(

Next:

1. Sysprep your image w/ shutdown

2. Boot off a PE2 or PE3 disc/flash drive or a Vista/Win7 install DVD would work too

3. PE is command prompt by default, for the install DVDs, you'll have to click "Repair your computer" to get to the command prompt

4. Launch regedit
    5. The registry you see is the PE registry, so you have to load the SYSTEM hive of your reference machine's registry

6. Highlight either HKLM or HKU and goto File -> Load hive...

7. Navigate to \windows\system32\config on the disk that's your reference PC's Windows partition (mine showed up as D: in PE) and select SYSTEM as the file to load
    8. Give the loaded hive a name...I used "temp"

9. Navigate to temp\ControlSet001\services\AtiPcie and set Start to 0 (sysprep had flipped this to 3)

10. Highlight temp and unload hive

11. Shutdown

12. Capture your image

13. Deploy with no more BSOD!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...ws-7-installation-will-not-recognize-any-hdds

There is no key that says AtiPcie (Even though it is there on the actual system - Just not in the loaded hive - So I could not even try this?

1.Boot Win7 DVD

2.Choose the Language Selection.

3.Choose Repair.

4.On the recovery tools choose the Command Line Console

5.Type:regedit <ENTER>

7.Highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

8.File > Load Hive

9.Select < windows partition with problem > \Windows\System32\config\system (Backup this first, it's advised)

10.Regedit will ask for a Key name: Name it something like "temp"

11.Located HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/temp/Select/Current

12.Searched for every key containing the value “SCSI Miniport” where the "Start" value was a "3" and changed the "Start" value to a "0". (F3 to search next result).

13.Highlight "temp"

14.File > Unload Hive

15.Restart

16.Enter in Win7 :)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...-and-classpnpsys-problem?forum=w7itprogeneral

Again No SCSI Miniport Keys so also could not try this

Also Tried changing "Current" and "Default" to the same value as "Last known good configuration"

This did not work - it just made it crash at a different point

- Is there nothing I can do? There does not seem to be any way to make a hard drive work connected directlly to the system and I cannot find a replacement for the connector - I only have this USB drive now to work with and no other hard drive attached to the laptop.

- When I set up the VM the disk type was set to SCSI and not IDE or SATA I dont know if this would change the problem though.

- I have a Windows Deployment Services Server but i cannot install straight to usb and I think a system image would be the same.

- Not sure what to think about the missing AtiPcie key in windows recovery registry even with a loaded hive from the right drive.

- If this situation is impossible to overcome would I be able to use Windows to Go with window 8.1 on it? (without having to leave my server on 24/7 for the neighbor to use the laptop normally)? - This is a last resort though as he said he does not want windows 8.

Any help would be amazing and thank you in advance.

Timez

2. JonBoyFishhead

JonBoyFishhead Private First Class

Re: Cloned Win7 to usb external drive to different computer - blue screen - Missing k

if you can somehow boot into BIOS on your neighbors computer, it should tell you what the SATA Operation is on the HD. you can then select the same one in your VM disktype. Having the wrong SATA operation selected can result in a BSOD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds