Cloning an external hard drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doddz, Mar 5, 2014.

1. doddz

doddz Private E-2

Hello all,

I've read up other threads on here and have seen some conflicting information online so I thought it would be best to just create my own thread.

I have a hard drive. It's connected to a machine (not a computer)

I also have a blank hard drive.

I need to make an exact copy (clone) of the hard drive that is connected to the machine, so that it can be put into another machine.

As it's not connected to a computer, I don't seem to be able to find a method to do this.

Is there a program where I can connect the hard drive I want to copy to my computer via usb or something, and then make the copy, and then remove it and connect the blank hd to copy it on to?

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes, there is a way.

You can use AOMEI Backupper to do this

Connect both drives to your computer via USB cable. Run AOMEI Backupper and select the drive you want to clone as the source disk and the blank drive as the destination and let AOMEI Backupper do it's thing.

AOMEI Backupper can run in the background and not interfere with normal computer use but, by doing so, it may slow down the cloning process considerably. But, it has never failed me.

3. doddz

doddz Private E-2

This was exactly what I was looking for and did the job, thank you very much, you're a star!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds