Closing an open program with Task Scheduler

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

A scheduled backup of Thunderbird is failing because TBird has files open which need to be included in the backup/sync. I can use NirCmd from the command line (nircmd.exe closeprocess thunderbird.exe) and TBird will shut down, no problem. However when I set up a scheduled task for the same command it starts on schedule but never finishes. :confused

W7 x64

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Have you tried either Taskkill or Tskill? these will end processes from command line too. tskill works on XP home Taskkill works on XP pro or higher

3. Earthling

Tried taskkill and get exactly the same result - it starts but doesn't finish. Yet it works from cmd :confused

I can only speculate that as TBird is running in IMAP mode it is keeping open a connection to the gmail server and that that is preventing it from closing.

4. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

How are you scheduling it? by creating a batch file then creating a scheduled taks to run the .bat?

5. Earthling

No, simply putting the command and parameters into the Action tab, exactly as when using cmd.

Attached Files:

6. Earthling

Resolved. Reverted to NirCmd and changed action from closeprocess to killprocess and it's now working, or at least it's working on demand. See if it runs to schedule at 21:30 tonight!

7. Earthling

Sorted with taskkill.exe too now - in pic above the argument should be /f /im thunderbird.exe. Simple syntax error :-o

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds