Closing undesired services through Task Manager

Discussion in 'Software' started by filipetolhuizen, Oct 3, 2008.

1. filipetolhuizen

filipetolhuizen Private E-2

Hi,
    For some reason I cannot close undesired services anymore through Task Manager which gives me an access denied message. I'm sure I could before and I have another computer with the same OS (WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit) which doesn't have this restriction. The service specifically is the IPodService.exe (ITunes component). In one computer I can close it through the Task Manager and in the other I just can't. I'm logged in in both of them as admin and they're running the same version of iTunes. Is there anyway that I could fix this? The computer which denies me to close it has been through a dangerous malware removal and is now 100% virus free.

2. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

3. filipetolhuizen

Thanks, but I was looking for a fix to the original task manager which I know is not acting the way it should be.

4. Bagtas03

Bagtas03 Private E-2

maybe this could get your task manager going..... i assume your task manager was disabled? am i right.??

Here's How:

1. Click Start

2. Click Run

3. Type REGEDIT

4. Click OK The Registry Editor will now open

5. Browse to the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Policies\system

6. In the right pane, look for the value: DisableTaskMgr

7. Right click DisableTaskMgr and select Delete. (When prompted with" Are you sure you want to delete this value", select Yes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I think this will solve your prob..... thank you....^^

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  5. filipetolhuizen

The task manager was not disabled. I still can open it but I cannot close most services that I could before and I still can on my other computer.

6. Sharagoz

Sharagoz Private First Class

Go to start->run->regedit
    Right-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, chose "permissions" and check if the administrator group got "full control" enabled. If not, enable it.
    Do the same thing for HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_USERS.

7. filipetolhuizen

Thanks, I checked that and full control is enabled for admins. under all keys. Must be something else then...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds