cmos battery ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superimpose, Mar 4, 2005.

1. superimpose

superimpose Private E-2

computer time seems to go slowly amean i set it up with wrist watch then it fall back about 8 minutes should i replace the battery if yes plese help on this FRU

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Does your watch have the correct time??

Usually when a pc does not maintain the correct time, the cmos battery is the first thing to replace.

3. SgtRedneck

SgtRedneck Private E-2

and if that doesn't fix it.. try booting into the bios.. checking the time..
    then turn it off. for an hour or so. turn it back on go into the bios and make sure its right. if it is then its not the battery..
    i've had some weird software screw with the time, at times :)
    but the batteries always a good idea like he said :p

4. superimpose

superimpose Private E-2

how much a cmos battery cost?

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

about $1.25 at any store that sells batteries :p take it out and look at the model number, its a generic battery.

6. superimpose

superimpose Private E-2

How do i intall this?

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Use a screwdriver and lever the silvery disc out of its holder by putting it under the retainer clip. Be gentle, though!

8. superimpose

superimpose Private E-2

would i loose any setting in my cmos setup?

9. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

All bios setting's may return to default settings,
    You can alway's enter bios before you change battery & note all your settings.

Incase you miss something, Here is a bios guide:
    http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=7&var1=18

10. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

I might note to use a demagnetized screwdriver .. as you could damage your mobo w/ a screwdriver that has a magnetized tip

11. superimpose

superimpose Private E-2

thank you very much guys ;)

12. Feriol

Feriol Private E-2

if your in XP it might be that your computers clock is syncronising with a time server to the accurate time.

double click the time in the bottom left corner of your screen, choose the 'internet time' tab and click 'update now'

when complete, set your watch to match the time on your computer, and see if you still notice any problems

13. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Funny, all yesterday I was picking loose screws out from under my motherboard with a magentised screwdriver... my machine is working perfectly. In fact, all my machines I've used a magnetised screwdriver with, and nothing bad has happened from it.

Whole new can of worms, that is! :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds