CMOS/GPNV checksum bad, no kbd to push F1 for setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mannshands, Apr 3, 2010.

1. mannshands

mannshands Private First Class

Hi,
    How do I begin to fix this?
    I fired up my old no-name tower, XP started but the USB keyboard didnt work. Also, My USB memstick is not listed in My PC, and usb kbd not listed in Hardware mgr at all. Using on- screen kbd. In control Panel/keyboard nothing listed. Used adapter to plug into old school round socket. Nope. Add hardware, no good. I cant get into BIOS to check that. Keyboard is new and works in other pcs. Found USB driver and installed. Nope. Scanned to get MoBo info, Used AMI flash Bios utility. It did something, my onscreen kbd gained colored boarders, but also had msg that it couldnt install. But still no kbd. On advice of other forum I was told to unplug AC, pull batt, hold power button 15 sec, replace batt, powerup to reset default BIOS. WRONG! At reboot Now I get AMI BIOS screen, with:CMOS/GPNV checksum bad. Ior F2 toload defaults. can't press F1to setup.
    Any suggestions
    INFO:
    Pent 4, 1.8GHz, XPsp3, OEM Elitegroup Computers, AMI BIOS ver 7.0, chipset=VIA VT8751 Apollo P4M266-8, MoBo=Shuttle MV 43(n)
    Perhaps this site's got better advice?
    Cheers
    mannshands

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

From th sound of it, the computer is not recognizing USB devices (unless your mouse is also USB).
    Before I go further, is the mouse PS/2 or USB?

3. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Depending on how old it is the CMOS battery may be dead which is causing the cheksum errors.

Sounds also to me it's not recognizing USB devices.

If you really need to use the pc you may want to try a PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse

4. mannshands

Mouse is PS/2. Keyboard is usb, with PS/2 adapter. Tried it both ways. Gonna leave it with batt out overnight. If still won't work in am I will try to find a battery tomorrow (on a holiday/sunday?).
    Thanks.

5. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Leaving the battery out overnight wont make a difference. Also is the time messed up?

6. mannshands

Replaced old batt. Screen is still stuck at AMI BIOS page, with several "F button" options. But now the error msg is: CMOS settings wrong. USB Kbd with PS/2 adapter still not working in PS/2 socket
    There is no clock on the screen.
    Can't get new batt for 2 hrs.
    Cheers

7. mannshands

Tried new batt. No change. Will look for an old ps/2 kbd. If that doesn't work I don't know what to do next. At bios load a screen flashes very fast, on list of recognized devices it showed an IDE and an Adaptec(?)found, but the other devices were not.
    Any suggestions?:confused
    THX
    mannshands

8. plodr

Keep the nw coin battery in but remove the power from the electric outlet for at least 1/2 hour. It sounds weird but that has been known to get the USB ports working again.
    I assume once you put in the new battery you now have a clock showing in BIOS. Be sure you set the clock to the current time and date.

9. mannshands

Got ps/2 kbd. It worked!:-D I got into BIOS setup.
    I set time and boot order. I dont see how to enable USB, it is old, could be USB1. All primary/slave drive devices set to auto. But my USB mem stick not seen by WIX XP.
    DVD is listed in Bios and XP.
    Well, its progress...
    THX all
    Any ideas on USB issue? I want to reinstall a newer XP, any chance that will fix the usb?

10. plodr

The USB will be in the BIOS - installing an OS will not suddenly allow USB ports if the BIOS is not set to enable them.
    Look around for USB Legacy Support and be sure it is set to Auto. Mine is found under the Advanced section of the BIOS. Look in each section and carefully read the choices; USB Legacy support is probably what you will see somewhere in your BIOS.

11. mannshands

Hi,
    USB used to work, don't remember if it was USB 1 or 2. I have been all thru BIOS setup, and several AMI manuals. I have AMI v 7.0. The closest manual I found was 7.1, but the screenshots were slightly different than what I have. Followed their instructions for set up but USB not listed. in ADVANCED CMOS settings as they said it was. I also tried the "optimized setting" option. Still no usb. Tried memstick and mp3 players, hoping plug'n'play might find them after bios reset. Nope.
    Trying another angle, I went into Hardware MGR and looked at USB Controllers, all drivers were loaded, I switched Power Mgt Setting to disable letting XP turn devices off. This didn't help. Then I looked at USB controller listed as VIA USB and VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller settings. When I click on these I BLACK SCREEN and pc beeps non-stop till I hit reset button. Boots into chkdsk, boots XP and a system recovery popup. In Event Viewer it shows error 1003(102).
    The usbs are built onto the mobo, how can bios miss them? Why does my usb controllers, provided by chipset mfg VIA, cause total crash?
    Still in the dark...
    mannshands

12. mannshands

OK,here is the trick! At bios setup I hit F7=best performance presets(different from "optimum"). This gives you extra menu items on each settings page, different than the default menus. So I found USB and USB Legacy and enabled them both. But it didn't work! A pair of mobo mounted usb's both go bad? How likely is that? Is it time to install new usb's?
    Whata u think?

13. mannshands

The VIA site is no help. The page for my model has dead links to manuals and downloads! I tried the whole uninstall/restart proceedure, all the MS hotfixes and several VIA USB enhanced controller driver updates at deviddotinfo. No good. If I buy a new usb card, will I be able to install it?
    mannshands

14. plodr

It seems very slight but I assume it does happen and you might be in that tiny group.
    There are PCI to USB cards. I'm not sure if the USB port is available before windows boots. I have zero experience with that hardware.

Maybe a mobo guru can tell you if there is a way to check the USB ports using a multimeter. Each port has 500mA, I think.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds