CMOS/jumper issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by camman886, Jul 18, 2010.

1. camman886

camman886 Private E-2

On my brothers computer: he attempted OCing a Phenom 9600 black edition with it allready at 60Celcius and as expected, didnt boot after exiting the bios. i cleared the CMOS but when the jumper is on pins one and two i cant even get case fans spinning. on pins two and three case fans spin and power to usb devices is present with a one short beep every two seconds.

Specs (as far as i can tell)
    mobo: ASRock K10N78
    CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 black edition from 2.3mhz to 2.6ish
    RAM: 2 gigs of unlabeled DDR2 in slots 1 3 and 4

2. Franix

Franix Private E-2

The motherboards user guide should tell you what the two quick beeps mean.

Try removing all but one stick of memory and power it on. Not saying that there's an problem with the memory, just thinking it could be possible that something memory related caused by the overclock, could be causing it not to post. Also, it's an easy step to try.

I could be wrong, but having odd amounts of memory isn't usually conducive to good OC'ing.

;)

3. camman886

camman886 Private E-2

update time, worked with one stick on pins 2 and 3 after leaving it unplugged with no mobo battery. was able to get into bios and see that defaults were set for processor clocks and everything reconized. rebooted and put the jumper on one and two and nuthin, no fans just power to usb for 5 seconds then no lights

4. Franix

Franix Private E-2

So it worked with one stick of memory and the cmos jumper on 2 and 3? Is it designed to post with the jumper on 2 and 3? Please be as clear as possible in your written responses.

5. camman886

camman886 Private E-2

my board is designed to reset the CMOS on jumper 2 and 3, yes it worked with one stick of memory and all three so memory wasent the issue. i now have it running a very glitchy windows 7 with all hardware in it on CMOS jumper 2 and 3, when the CMOS jumper is on 1 and 2, the regular boot setting, it wont even power on the fans or usb devices, nevermind post

6. Franix

Franix Private E-2

Ok. Usually resetting the cmos you power the pc off, unplug it, change the cmos jumper from 1.2 to 2.3, wait 5-10 sec, take the jumper off 2.3 back to 1.2, plug it back in, power it back on. I don't believe you're sposed to power it on, while the jumper is on 2.3.

Crummy that it doesn't power on in 1.2. Do you still have the board manual? Should have a section about the beep alerts.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds