Codec Pack for Windows Media Player 11?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cordialis, May 17, 2008.

1. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

I have been searching the internet for a download link for a codec pack that matches Windows Media Player 11. What I have in mind is a "twin" pack like K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 3.9.0 for Media Player Classic 6. I did try installing K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 3.9.0 but it installed Media Player Classic 6 as well and my Secunia reacted very strongly saying that Media Player Classic was highly insecure. I would be very grateful for a tip or a download link. Thanks in advance. :cool

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Codec Packs at times can be troublesome, and indeed using the older MediaPlayer Classic will flag up in Secuni PSI as unsecure, due to it not being current version, but you can still use Media Player Classic with no issues.

I would first off not try and combine two Codec packs as you may end up with some conflicts in the codec files themselfs, but only use one and the one I use and would recomend is Vista Codec Package ( works on both Vista and XP )

But make sure you uninstall all previous installed Codec packs first.

3. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

I have already uninstalled that first codec pack - it seemed to be a sensible thing to do. I always follow Secunia PSI and think very highly of it. I will give this new link a try on my XP Home SP3. Thank you so much.
    :)

4. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Should I use a TX download or a FL? And why are there so many possibilities? :-D

5. DavidGP

I know choices choices, any will do I tend to use FL, dunno why. The choices are to cover many areas as to allow the fastest downloads speed we can.

yes Secunia PSI is good I use it also, nice way to keep informed of updates to apps, although its not perfect as I have two apps which I know for fact are fully upto date, and PSI says they are not!!

6. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Usually they will fix it if you write them an email. Secuia is a fairly good company. Thanks for the answer.

7. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Actually, I think it will pay of big time for a site like Major Geeks to write Secuia. We would all benefit from that. I have this dream that they would start servicing all my drivers also. And hand me the right download link. Intel. Dell. BIOS. The works. Wouldn't that be awesome? :-D :cool :drool

8. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Avira Antivir reacted to the codec pack download. It contained a virus, Avira wrote. I told it to ignore. Would that be all right? This is the definition it gave: SPR/PSW.NetPass.AL

9. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

It is all right. Avira Antivir's English Forum already answered me. The download link is likely to be ok.

10. DavidGP

Hi

Yes sadly some files especially codec packs and such can set off an AV but in majority of cases they are as you mention a false positive... I would not suggest any application that I have not already tested or use personally, and I'm always malware free.

Sadly just takes on dll or file to resemble malware file these days to trip an AV, likely the next Avira update will be ok with this file.

11. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Yes, I think so. I wrote Avira once before and they answered right away. I like their system. I'm on the free version but I'm going to by it. Or BullGuard. Haven't made up my mind. :)

12. DavidGP

Avira is good.

13. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

BullGuard is also good! :-D :-D :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds