Cold boot pbm in WinXP(SP1) & new WD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoseSin, Nov 26, 2007.

1. JoseSin

JoseSin Private E-2

Hi (new here - my first post)
    Just added a new WstrnDig 320g h.d. to back up my boot one (200g WD)
    Used their DOS tool floppy to format new hd, only way to make it the boot drive. Tool then made me swap drive positions. It booted fine (warm boot).
    NOW when I power down, on a cool boot it hangs.
    Have jumpers on auto select (moving to pins for master/slave made it worse). IF I boot from floppy or go into BIOS, then boot to the hard drive, it works, hence I'm online now.
    As per WD recs, I have bootup (1) floppy (2) CD (3) IDE hd
    On cold boot, it can't find primary master IDE.
    All drive tests are OK - I also backed up all my data from the old boot drive (now 2nd drive) first, so I can simply swap drives back (I hope) to the original boot drive if all else fails; however that won't solve my problem. I want to be able to use this new, bigger drive as my boot/main drive.
    Both drives exceed 32k old limitation, so that's not it. Maybe my boot partition (now 160g) should be below other limitation of 137g??

NOT getting answers from the WD board; I've already read all their suggestions, I used them to set this drive up with this result. At least the boot floppy works and gets me in.

Thanks for any help with this - and I thought a new larger, drive to "mirror" the boot one was the ideal way to go (before an SP2 upgrade for safety!), expecting NO problems! :D
    -- the Jman --

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

3. JoseSin

JoseSin Private E-2

Thanks a lot - esp. the links... my XP Pro install is OEM - will that work with these tools?? Doesn't BartPE say this will be missing NTLDR without a fix?

Q - WHY would I need to reformat? drive is already formatted as boot, won't installing XP-SP2 solve the large drive problem if that's what's causing this? (I halved the size, not knowing any limit since my other drive of 200g never caused pbms, but the boot partition is only 40g on that one)

Q2 - Would simply reformatting the drive (less than 137 on the boot partition this time) and recopying the old boot drive again solve this cuz it worked the first time w.o. SP2 - that system works (XP pro SP1) with all my drivers -- I've seen some people say SP2 clobbers some drivers (like C-audio AC97, req. Realtek's to replace it). ARE there even MORE driver problems I can expect and prep for ahead of time (I already got Realtek's 17m update for C-audio)

THANKS A LOT - something oughtta work!! :cool -- the JMAN

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds