Comcast Blocking Outgoing e-mail

Discussion in 'Software' started by Marlene3369, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Marlene3369

Marlene3369 Private First Class

Hi,I received an e-mail from comcast the other day,well here it is.

Dear Comcast Subscriber:
    ACTION REQUIRED: Comcast has determined that your computer(s) have been used to send unsolicited email ("spam"), which is generally an indicator of a virus. For your own protection and that of other Comcast customers, we have taken steps to prevent further transmission of spam from your computer(s).

Comcast has blocked my outgoing mail and is telling me through this email that I should change my port from 25 to another,they sent me a link to do this. My question is that should I change my port for outgoing email ( I'm going to call them on the phone tomorrow and see what's up ).

I have SpySweeper and NOD32 and I do not have a virus or spam on my computer like comcast is telling me I have.

Hugs,
    Marlene

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Marlene

I would either change the port as they instructed or better still just humour me and go through the malware Read Me guide in the Malware forum, start a thread in there attach the logs and see if indeed you have some sneeky malware ( some nasty ones of late are around ) and if you do run the guide get the all clear from the guys their, you can go back at Comcast and tell then your malware free and what are they thinking is causing them to block you on port 25.

Or well... just bite the bullet and change to the other port, so long as you can still send email I wouldnt worry what port its going via, BUT I know its not nice to be accused of something you know is not caused by you.

Do let us know how you get on.

3. Marlene3369

Marlene3369 Private First Class

Hi Halo,
    I have been with MajorGeeks for a long time and yes I have done all the scans to my computer,It is clean. It just ticked my off that they blocked my outgoing mail,incoming mail works fine.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Marlene

I just had to offer that option, as you are clean then, I would then as your likely to anyways is to contact their support and ask why or what triggered this email to you to change ports and accuse you of sending Spam.

5. srac

srac Private E-2

More than likely your system is clean, and someone forged your e-mail address. Yes, this is possible, and no, I'm not exactly sure how. All I know is my web domain e-mail has been used in a diabolical manner. I have seen people just throw something in front of my domain name such as aaaa1aaa@. UGH!!!

The problem is there is not much we can even do. Google forging email. These two sites will give you a fair idea of what is happening.
    http://service.futurequest.net/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=112
    http://www.modwest.com/help/kb9-234.html

This can happen whether or not you own the domain or you only have one e-mail address from a service provider.

I'm not sure how best to proceed with comcast. I have them, but never have had to deal with them in that manner, since I don't use the e-mail address provided. Unfortunately, I think they will insist you have a virus, which we know you don't. Your best bet it to change the ports like they asked, and tell them you have been a victim of e-mail forging. After you did your own research, and had reliable back up to what you are saying.

If the problem still exists and they want to fight you on that point, then you could always ask them to change your e-mail address to something different. Only use that to give out to family and friends. When you sign up for something on the net join a forum, or need to use an e-mail addy on the net, use a free throw away e-mail address.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds