Comcast blocking routers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by G_Loc, Mar 12, 2008.

1. G_Loc

G_Loc Private E-2

I'm helping a family friend with his wireless router. Last time I went to his house it wasn't working. Its a Linksys WRT54G. If I hooked up his computers directly to the modem, they would work. The Linksys wouldn't even pull an IP from it. I read online that Comcast filters out MAC addresses and the only way to fix the problem is to reset the modem. I did it and the Linksys started working again. This was back in January.

He called me again a few days ago with the same problem. Should I just tell him to switch to another broadband ISP if this is going to be a recurring problem? Or is there another solution?

2. matrixblue

matrixblue Private E-2

Use Mac Address Cloning

3. G_Loc

G_Loc Private E-2

Clone the address of the wired computer onto the Linksys?

Hmm... thanks!

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds