command line tutorial

Discussion in 'Software' started by solutions, May 11, 2005.

1. solutions

solutions Private E-2

Dear fellow geeks,

I would like to ask your opinion; if there was a tutorial
    series, that teaches command line for say, SOHO or small
    business owners, or students, or administrators, or IT interns; if it was
    provided on dvd, along with manuals, and plenty of illustrations,
    examples, and breakdowns completely explaining every switch,
    option,
    variable, statement, condition, etc along with website support;
    and loadable files to use as examples to study on, what would you
    think of it along with the pros and cons?

Please dont get me wrong; Its just that ive read several manuals on the
    subject, and theyre so technical, and cryptic, its easy to struggle. Lucky for me, ive
    become good at understanding this subject.
    I simply believe that I can do a better job of explaining command line concepts, and batch
    scripting so that the average person can really understand. For example, are you familiar
    with the "video professor" series that uses a very user friendly approach to teaching?
    The illustrations are presented with pre selected mouse movements on the screen that show
    you exactly where to move your mouse, and click, step by step. Though command line is mouse,
    and GUI free, I think something similar to showing each command typed, and entered with
    results presented, and explained (before the student types in anything, just like the
    "video professor" series) would go a long way to helping the student understand. I would
    present this on DVD as a classroom style teaching tool. Explaining each command switch,
    option, etc, with a large video screen tool that I would use as a virtual blackboard.
    Just as the "video professor" would lead you with a cursor step, by step, my series would
    similarly do the same.

Holla if you feel me.
    Thanks, Solutions

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Personally I don't think you'd find much interest in this. Usually the only people who want to touch command line are the more advanced users. The ones who arn't so good just stick with the GUI.

Of course when it comes to windows the help provided for average commands in 2000/XP is pretty good already. They even include sample usuage. For example if you look up the taskkill command you'll see it includes this

Examples:
    TASKKILL /S system /F /IM notepad.exe /T
    TASKKILL /PID 1230 /PID 1241 /PID 1253 /T
    TASKKILL /F /IM notepad.exe /IM mspaint.exe
    TASKKILL /F /FI "PID ge 1000" /FI "WINDOWTITLE ne untitle*"
    TASKKILL /F /FI "USERNAME eq NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /IM notepad.exe
    TASKKILL /S system /U domain\username /FI "USERNAME ne NT*" /IM *
    TASKKILL /S system /U username /P password /FI "IMAGENAME eq note*"

It also explains it all above. It's really as clear as it gets for command line stuff.

Now if you meant linux command line, then maybe that would be nice. I find the manuals for linux command lines to almost always be lacking in detail. Of course after using linux awhile you just get used to it and you're OK. And since linux/unix isn't something normal users really play around with much, I yet again wouldn't see much use for it.

Even if you did a good job with it, very few linux/unix users would ever be bothered to read/use it. They all just use the man command. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds