Comments on new mini-ITX build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Felixmagician, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Felixmagician

Felixmagician Private E-2

First time building ITX PC...

Need some advice/comments

Here's what I'm planning to buy:
    Case: Linkworld LC920-01
    Motherboard: Intel DG41MJ
    CPU: Intel E5400
    RAM: 2 x DDR2 Corsair 1GB PC800
    HDD: WD Scorpio Black 250 GB 2.5"

Cost ~ $250

What do you think?
    Im planning to use the stock fan for the CPU. Will it fit on the MB and in the case?

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Fun project :)

Only 70mm overall width?, -4mm for case sides, -10mm for motherboard+socket+CPU, =56mm max (all figures except case size guessed :)) for the cooler and headroom (stock cooler height is what, 50-56mm?); I think that case is designed for VIA and Atom, I'd like more room for a 'real' CPU that requires a heatsink and fan.

Adding a low profile aftermarket heatsink/fan (28-35mm?) should allow enough airflow, it may cool better and quieter than the stock fan too - but it might not!

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Better to buy an OEM version of the E5400 and add a low-profile HS/F, plus I'd see what your power needs really are here, 150W sounds really low to me. I assume you want a very quiet machine?

No experience with these cases, just using common sense and google.:)

4. Felixmagician

Yea, I think I need more power...do you have any suggestions? :)

I like the case design, maybe I could remove the preinstalled PSU and replace it with a 300W. Would that work? Do I need a special PSU (please link me to one) or could I fit in a regular size one?

5. Felixmagician

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Well. you know the size of an ATX already, and I really doubt that such a slim case would have the room.

7. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

This is a tough question case spec sheets don't always answer (especially if they are poorly translated "Engrish"). Although an ITX case may use a FlexATX or TFX size PSU, some use propriatary size PSUs that are tough (if not impossible) to find aftermarket replacements for. If possible, look at an actual case, measure the PSU and see if it matches standard FlexATX or TFX dimensions. In addition to the dimensions, check the cooling fan layout on the OEM PSU. If the aftermarket PSU has a different fan layout it may not get enough air flow.

One other possibility is the Cooler Master CM100 case. Although technically rated as an ITX case, it will hold a mATX board (more motherboard options if desired). I have used these for Point-Of-Sale PC builds. The stock Intel CPU fan fits, and it uses a FlexATX PSU. Unlike many other ITX cases, it also has a true half-height PCI slot on the backplane if you ever want to install a card. (The only downside on this case is CM's claim you can mount it to the back of a monitor. Unless the monitor has an extremely heavy base it will be unstable and prone to tipping over. If using this case, plan on setting it on the desk; it can be used either vertically or horizontally.)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds