Comodo Alert

Discussion in 'Software' started by toepick, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toepick

toepick Private E-2

Have had the firewall up and running for several days now, but it just now sent me a warning about svchost wanting to connect to the internet? I didn't do anything and the window disappeared (while I was writing this).It said in the description that it was a safe program? The alert was colored yellow. I can't find this alert in any of the logs tho.

Is it normal for random alerts like that? Or is there a potential problem with my svchost file.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

At first a bit of training and allowing denying is needed with many firewalls Comodo is no exception, but svchost is a legit process from Windows and if denied can in some instances of it stop your access to the internet and network, it should if listed in Comodos poups have a location of C:\Windows\System32 but if in another location just check the file out as malware these days tries to mimic legit files, but in general you may see various svchost.exe popups from a Firewall until its learned what needs access to the net and IIRC Comodo has a white list (while list sare lists of know good files, processes, services) of good processes so thats likely why this one popped up then went away quickly.

Info on svchost
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/057580a1-7002-4f43-9240-a74f42cb05c91033.mspx

Process Explorer is a great app for finding what a process is http://majorgeeks.com/Process_Explorer_d4566.html and what or who it belongs too and all properties for that file should be Microsoft,

3. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

One thing to remember with Comodo and most firewalls, is that you can "block" any connection but making sure not to tick or untick the "remember my choice" box, will make sure you wont have too many troubles if you block anything that you shouldn't have, cos it will be allowed to ask again...

So my motto is... if in doubt, block it, but not permenantly :)

Q

4. toepick

toepick Private E-2

kk thanks guys
    was from proper location..just surprised it didn't already see it as having permission..probably still 'learning' my networks (mine at home and also one at work lol)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds