Comodo firewall ONLY, and nothing else?

Discussion in 'Software' started by kelkay, Jan 18, 2013.

1. kelkay

kelkay Private E-2

I had Comodo firewall on my Win7 laptop, and loved it. Trouble is, I went to Win8 desktop, after the laptop bit the dust. I downloaded what I thought was just the firewall, but it came with CIS too. I had too much trouble with CIS, as it was not very user friendly for me. It did have some great ideas, but the new sandbox is too difficult to figure out, even with some trying to help. So I decided to uninstall the CIS, and start fresh with just the firewall. The Comodo Firewall here x86 is not right for 64 bit machines. Does Comodo not have a regular firewall without the WHOLE CIS? If not, should I just go with Windows 8 firewall, or should I try another free firewall? I had Online Armor before, loved it on the XP, but it had trouble with Win7 for me. That is when I went to Comodo, was when I had the Win7. I do not have a wireless router, or any router, just the modem now. Once I went to Win8, my two year old Cisco router did not work right, and Cisco wanted money to give tech support. So I said to heck with them, and took it off. I don't mind going to a new Windows, but every time I do, it ends up being a hassle. http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/free-download.html
    This link does give you the whole CIS, not just the firewall, just in case somebody wanted to know.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  2. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Did you try downloading from the 64Bit link here? http://www.majorgeeks.com/Comodo_Personal_Firewall__d5033.html

3. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

That installs just the firewall. After installing it look in the Comodo settings.
    Click the little green arrow (top right) > Advanced Tasks > Open Advanced Settings > Configuration.
    You should see that COMODO - Internet Security does not say Active next to it.

It also changes your default search and homepage to Yahoo!.

Be sure to go into the Control Panel and turn off Windows Firewall. Comodo does not disable it and you will have two firewalls running. Never a good idea.

4. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

How to Install Comodo Firewall

5. kelkay

kelkay Private E-2

I did download it from Major Geeks. In fact I tried to use this twice. Both times when I started to install it, even thought it was said Personal Firewall, it was the CIS instead.
    I am not sure how good the Windows Firewall is, but I have Win8. Maybe it is as good as the Comodo Firewall now?

6. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Try this one.

Comodo Firewall Free

7. kelkay

kelkay Private E-2

Thanks, I will try it. It has the same date if I recall correctly, but I will run it and see if it is just the firewall. Thank you very much.

8. kelkay

kelkay Private E-2

Well it worked. I thought it was the same, and was disappointed. But then I noticed at the bottom, you could decide what to install, if you clicked on that. (at bottom of installation) So I just chose the firewall. I did not enable behavior blocker, because I was afraid it would throw the same files back in the sandbox, and I wouldn't be able to get them out. I still have Windows Firewall on, guess it is best to turn it off. Thank you so much. I didn't notice you could customize the installation on the other times I tried to get JUST THE FIREWALL.

9. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Glad it worked, finally.
    You do have to watch all of the options with any install.

You don't want two firewalls active, so disable the Windows firewall.

How to disable firewall in Windows 8

10. kelkay

kelkay Private E-2

I cannot remember exactly what the install said, but it let you customize it. It did not pop up like most installs do, where you can see right off, the choices, to install. I did cut the Windows Firewall off already. Things are pretty quiet with the firewall, I hope it stays this smooth. When I had this on my laptop...just the firewall, I LOVED IT. I tried the paranoid mode, but it drove me crazy with alerts. This firewall is the newer version though, from what I had before. Now if it doesn't sandbox my good stuff, I am gonna be happy. I'm especially happy that you can also filter IPv6. I am thrilled that you helped me. I truly appreciate it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds