Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0 question

Discussion in 'Software' started by keywest928, Feb 28, 2008.

1. keywest928

keywest928 Private E-2

I recently installed Comodo Firewall Pro v3.0. Prior to that the only firewall that I used was Windows firewall. Obviously, CFP v3.0 is a lot more robust and I'm in the midst of quite a learning curve with it.

The CFP User's Guide is a little daunting for an average pc user like me. (Primarily, I use my pc for spreadsheets, some email, online banking, music downloading, creating music CD's, creating DVD's with MovieMaker, and occasional web surfing.)

Although I've read the User Guide sections pertaining to Firewall Behavior Settings and Defense+ Settings, I'm still confused on a couple of issues. They are:

1. When I get a Firewall Alert and I believe it is safe, I've been checking "Allow this request...Remember my answer". But I also see the option "Treat this application as...a trusted application...Remember my answer". Can someone clarify when I should check one versus the other?

2. Similar question pertaining to Defense+ Alerts. Assuming the activity is safe, I've been checking "Allow this request...Remember my answer". But I also see the option "Treat this application as...a trusted application...Remember my answer". I'm not sure when one should be checked versus the other.

I know there's a Comodo support forum, but I've got a comfort level with Major Geeks, so I thought I'd start here with the above two issues. If there are any Comodo CFP 3.0 experts at this forum, I'd be grateful for any helpful guidance.

2. Doofus

Doofus Private First Class

Defense+ doesn't need to be on unless you want active control over all communication with the web. You will still be protected, but wont have to deal with the constant permission requests.

3. keywest928

keywest928 Private E-2

In addition to the Users Guide, I have been using the integrated CFP Help Guide (by clicking on the "What do these settings do" links) for applicable screens that I'm trying to understand, but "daunting" is still the appropriate word. It's not a criticism of Comodo; I'm just new to some of the concepts and terminology.

I appreciate the explanation about Trusted Applications. But, to be honest, I still don't quite yet understand when I should check "Allow this request...Remember my answer" versus "Treat this application as...a trusted application...Remember my answer for Firewall and Defense+ Alerts. Functionally, does clicking either one result in CFP taking the same action? Maybe some examples demonstrating when it is appropriate to click "Allow this request...Remember my answer" to supplement the examples you provided regarding Trusted Applications would help me understand the differences between the two.

Thanks.

4. Doofus

Doofus Private First Class

Well, according to Comodo, "Deactivate Defense+ permanently (Requires a system restart) - Shuts down the Defense+ Host Intrusion element of Comodo Firewall Pro PERMANENTLY. The firewall is not affected and will continue to to protect your computer even if you deactivate Defense+. Comodo do not recommend users close Defense+ unless they are sure they have alternative Intrusion Prevention Systems installed."

I assumed that the original poster is a safe surfer and has participated here enough times to become aware of the necessity for a comprehensive suite of protective measures, and to have installed them.

If he doesn't meet these conditions, then you are right, he should turn on Defense+.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds