Comodo Internet Security... any opinions from actual users?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cobrajet431, Nov 27, 2008.

1. cobrajet431

cobrajet431 Private First Class

Hi Geeks,

I currently run Avast v4.8 Home Edition, Comodo BOClean, and Comodo Firewall Pro v3 on an XP SP3 desktop.
    My preferred browser is Firefox 2 (*) although I keep IE7 available for use when needed. I have McAfee Site Advisor installed on both browsers, and WOT installed on my Firefox only. I keep SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D updated for immunization, and I keep MBAM and Superantispyware on the desktop for occasional on-demand scans.
    I do the bulk of my web surfing from my limited rights guest account, surfing sandboxed if I am checking out questionable sites or links.

(*) (FF3 is still missing too many of my favorite add-ons; yes I do check on it from time-to-time.)

Aside from using Avast, none of this is really relevant to my question except to give potential repliers the full picture of my security.

Now that Comodo Internet Security (CIS) has been available as a final for several weeks (yes, the antivirus part is final also) I was wondering if any experienced users have tried CIS yet and their opinions.

* Is it ready for prime-time?
    * Is it good enough to justify uninstalling my Avast and going strictly Comodo?
    * How intrusive is the suite compared to just the Comodo Firewall Pro?
    * How difficult is the learning curve compared to Comodo Firewall Pro?

BTW, I am a member of the Comodo Forums also... I came here for an unbiased opinion. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks as always.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I've been running Comodo Internet Security on a "test" PC at work for about 10 days, and so far, I like it. It's easy to use (but then again, I think most things are easy to use ;) ) but one of the best things is that everything is written in layman's terms so even the un-experienced PC person can understand how to use it. Anyway- CIS (so far) has proven to be an excellent app, but I wouldn't use it without active virus protection. I run it with AntiVir and have nothing but good things to say about them both.
    :-D

[dlb]

3. cobrajet431

dlb :major ,

Thanks for your reply.
    Did you disable the included antivirus from your CIS or are your running CIS + AntiVir with the AV component of CIS still active ?

Also, what firewall did you have before CIS, and if it was Comodo, did you uninstall it or just install over it?

Thanks.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Since it is more of an 'experiment' than an actual setup for security, no, I didn't disable anything in CIS or AntiVir. I simply installed 'em both using defaults. There was no firewall on the PC. The PC has a clean install of Windows XP Home SP2, the drive was formatted 2 weeks ago. I immediately installed AntiVir, and spent a couple days looking for a decent firewall and decided to try CIS instead of CPF. Now that I'm thinking about it, the PC has no spyware protection, so maybe I'll add BOClean or Spyware Terminator (a great program that doesn't get much exposure here at MG for some reason).

5. cobrajet431

dlb,

I think I'll uninstall my CFP and install CIS and keep my Avast unless I detect a conflict.

And although you didn't ask, I would go with BOClean because Comodo plans to incorporate it into CIS in the future. Their plan is to have all of the components of CIS available as the whole package, or to mix-and-match as you see fit.

BTW, I think the reason Spyware Terminator doesn't have the best rep is because of their partnership with Crawler, who was previously rogue... and people don't forgive or forget easily.

Thanks again for your input.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

True.... I don't want to change the focus of the thread, but the new version of Spyware Terminator is open about Crawler (early versions were a bit 'sneakier') and you can easily opt-out of all things Crawler during install.

I didn't know CIS was going to include BOClean in a future release. EXCELLENT!!! That will be one mean app if they can keep it under control and not bloat it by trying to make it do too much or make it over-intuitive or too user friendly. We've seen this happen time and time again with internet security programs. An app starts out excellent, and then becomes bloated, resource hungry, and winds up being useless, slow, and having an alienated (and POed) user base. Norton and McAfee come to mind. AVG may be headed this way also.

7. LennyW

LennyW Private E-2

I've been using Comodo firewall almost 2½ years and have been very pleased with it. I installed the latest CIS version firewall and Defense+ a week ago (deselected CAV during install) and it's running flawlessly. WTG Comodo! It's the best rated free firewall at Matousec by far (last tested version is 3.0, current version is 3.5).

After you get it installed you might want to run the Comodo Leak Test Suite to verify your setup. I scored a 340/340 by using the default settings and enabling Proactive Security by right clicking the Comodo icon in the system tray> Configuration. You have to be logged into Comodo forum to see the download link at the above hyperlink. Also, be sure to block any alerts you get from Comodo while the test is running.

8. cobrajet431

Thank you to all of you for your input.

After reading LennyW's and MarkTrent's posts I've decided that is the way I'll do it too... install CIS and deselect CAV, keeping my Avast until CAV becomes as world-class as the rest of the suite. Thanks also for the tip about the Comodo Leak Test Suite.

Interestingly, all three top free AV's are in use in this thread (*) with no sniping :-D

The three of you showed why this is one of the best forums out there :cool

(*) I assume from Lenny's avatar that he uses Avast?

Thanks to all.

9. oma

oma MajorGeek

10. cobrajet431

Oma,
    Thanks for the PCMag link. What a disheartening review :confused
    I think my opinion has come completely full-circle in the 24 hrs. since I posted my question. Right now I think I'm going to stand-pat with the exact security I mentioned in post #1 of this thread.

CIS doesn't appear ready for prime time :(

11. LennyW

LennyW Private E-2

Don't be discouraged, Comodo is already responding to the Matousec evaluation of v3.5. See this thread at Comodo forum. A patch is expected to be released on December 2. Remember, v3.5 is brand new and there are bound to be bugs to work out. Comodo has always been very prompt about fixing these bugs, but you could stay with v3.0 until the next Matousec test is done to be sure.

Yes, I've been an Avast user for seven years and have never been infected in that time. On my beta testing machine I've strayed to many others, but always come home to Avast. ;)

12. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I currently am using the older Comodo Personal Firewall (v 2.4 because I like the looks) and the site authentication programs. May go to CIS if many more good reviews. As for Spyware Terminator, tried it, told not to install Crawler Toolbar. It did anyway. Good-bye Terminator,you won't be back.

13. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Just tried CIS and removed it. Disrupted my cable connection which I had to repair. Once I was back online,pages and tabs took 20-25 seconds to load from the time I clicked on them. Uninstalled CIS,reinstalled v2.4 and Avira AntiVir and things are back to normal.

14. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Am on cable connection(6MB). Made no adjustments to options. Everything was ran at default settings as installed.

15. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Can't understand it. Just did as before. Uninstalled Avira and Comodo 2.4. Reinstalled CIS. Everything seems fine this time around.Didn't get any dialog boxes for anything. Did its AV scan,asked to restart computer to finalize install. Upon restart, everything working. Weird.Will try for a while to see if I get attached to it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds