Comp died, wont get past xp load screen? plz help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lowie57, Mar 27, 2008.

1. lowie57

lowie57 Private First Class

ok this happened about 3 months ago, i just havnt had the time to adress the problem until now (because im in shepparton with crap all to do)

my comp started to get a little unreliable, ie: random restarts, sometimes wouldnt load past boot post screen. but it usually gets there in the long run.

i went away for a week or so, come back to turn my computer on, and now everytime it gets upto the xp loading screen, it will either lock up, shut off, or display the blue screen of death. i tried reinstalling windows but that didnt seem to help at all.

the only other computer at my house is a new core2 duo, which i am not aloud to pull apart.. plus the components wont fit into mine anyway.. im using as follows (old i know!)

XP Athlon 2600+
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
    1g Corsair Value Ram
    ATI X850XT
    460w PSU
    120g Seagate barracuda.

Can anyone suggest whats going wrong with it?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Two main choices ...bad ram or a bad PSU ....remove everything except ram and the hard drive and see if it will boot. If not....try a diff. PSU.

3. Layzie Bone

Layzie Bone Private E-2

How often would you say that it "shuts off" and are you able to turn it back on with the power button. Honestly something like is hard to diagnose, but if the machine shuts down probably a power supply. Memory would have explained the BSOD's and the crashing, but not the shutting down.

4. jsnpttsbrgh

jsnpttsbrgh Private E-2

You can trying putting your xp CD in and going to the repair option. Once in the repair option try running a chkdsk /p /r then after that try fixmbr and fixboot to see if those help repair windows so it will load.

5. lowie57

lowie57 Private First Class

i tried the xp repair option before, that didnt work, i also wiped my hdd and did a clean install, still didnt have an effect, the restarts would happen,.. probably a few times a week, it was over 3 months ago now so im not 100% sure on that one. i cant pull my comp apart until monday, so i will let you guys know how i go with it, thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds