comp dies

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sleepinggamer, Jul 5, 2005.

1. sleepinggamer

sleepinggamer Private E-2

after playing games for say a half hour to an hour my computer will die then when i the power supply of for about 10 second and turn it back on it will statup and run properly. I use speedfan to see the tempurature of my comp and it never really gets that high (max of about 56c) also after it dies the first time it will only take like 10 min to do it again even if i let it cool down for a few minutes (to about 36c) this is a brand new build so it cant be dust or what not can anyone help me with this

2. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

Give us your Specs,
    your computer shutdown suddently with or without message error.

3. sleepinggamer

im running
    Asus Kv7-v motherboard
    Athalon XP 2900
    1g pc3200 ddr ram
    radion 9000pro video card
    seagate 80gig hdd
    and it shuts down suddenly without a message

4. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

How about PSU capacity ?
    Some softs they are not exactly in showing t*
    You can download Everest Ultimate Edition for this and make a comparision to PC health in Bios.
    when run at full load or when you log in windows at 56*c.
    Clean Your CPU heat sink 56*c Is too hot if You are not OC.
    Put more Back case fan.

5. sleepinggamer

i have a 450w psu and i dont see anything diff in Everest ultimate

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Tryin to find out whats wrong with your comp is impossible with the info you have provided read this

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/announcement.php?f=22

We need to know everything,the make and model of everything including power supply,write a short story about the problem when it started,how long you have had the comp,what you did just before the problem started to occur ect,the comps life story. :)

7. sleepinggamer

ok so its been a while sence I've replied
    I thought i fixed the problem but apaently not thought it was a overheating problem but no now it is getting worse at the beginning it would take a while for it to die the second time but now after it dies once it will die again in about 5 min untill i wait for a few hours to turn it back on

My computer is personally built by me the Hard Drive/Video card are about 1year old every thing else about 3-6 months old

The problem started near the beginning of the summer thus why i thought it was overheating

i thought it could be a memery problem so i tooken out my memory and ran it one stick at a time and it does the same thing on both cards I have run Memtest86 when it is 75-80% done it will die so i dont know

if you need anymore info or have any suggested tests/fixes please tell me and i would be greatly apreciated

8. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

That definetly sounds like it is the memory as memtest goes along it gets harder on the memory. Do you have more memory to put in to check besides the two you have tried?

9. sleepinggamer

umm lets see i think i have some old ddr 2100 around somewhere ill try it

10. sleepinggamer

ok so i put my old ddr2100 that i know is good still in my comp and it does the same thing so any other suggestions

11. Rikky

I think something is overheating,can you take the side off the case and let a room fan blow into it,also how many case fans do you currently have?

12. sleepinggamer

i have done that to no avail still does the same thing i have a case fan on the back and one on the side

13. Rikky

try this,control panel,system,system properties,advanced,start up and recovery,settings,uncheck the box automatically restart then run your computer until the next crash

14. sleepinggamer

hmm does nothing still dies i tryed a new PSU but it didnt help any any other ideas this is really starting to piss me off :mad:

15. Rikky

have you tried checking your event viewer for the last event in your system log before the crash?find the sequence of events that happen at startup and look at the one just before it,cont panel,admin tools,event viewer,system also check your mini dump file for a crashdump around the time of the last crash C:windows/minidump ;)

16. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

"it never really gets that high (max of about 56c)"

That is pretty high, and athlonXPs do not have very good thermal protection. I would reseat the CPU, how much thermal paste did you use? You're only supposed to put an amount equal to that of a grain of rice.

17. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Anything's possible, but 56 degrees C shouldn't really be making it crash.

You can determine the maximum operating temperature by the "Ordering Part Number" (OPN). The OPN is located on the top of the processor.

The temperature is indicated by the third character from the right in the OPN and is denoted by an S, T or V character.

V=85ºC, T= 90ºC, S = 95ºC

18. Rikky

great info insomniac :) If you wanna find out how hot your cpu runs under load download this

http://majorgeeks.com/Toast_d867.html

open your temp monitoring app,then double click the toast exe,it will run your cpu at 100% keep an eye on your temp,if your "lucky" your comp may lock up and you have your problem ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds