comp shuts down when playing games! help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spaceoid, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Spaceoid

Spaceoid Private E-2

Hi my computer shuts down when playing some games, i can play older games like diablo2 fine works all day, but when it comes to higher graphics games it will just shut down. can be annoying. here is my comp spec

AMD athlon 64x2 dual core 6000+ 3.00ghz
    3gig ram
    evga 9800 gt 512mb
    750w psu
    asus m2n32 sli deluxe
    dvd drive
    350gig hdd

this is all i have taking power of my psu.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Sounds like overheating. Clean all the dust from the inside of your case. Remove and clean your CPU heatsink. Clean the old thermal paste of the re-apply new paste and re-seat.

Post back once all is clean to let us know how it goes.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

That's a 5 year old rig or more, I'd suspect dust/grime too after that long of a time but I'd prefer to see what's really going on first by using a torture test like OCCT which will record to some 15 charts onto your hard drive of how your PC performs under stress. It will record right up until you cancel it or the rig blue screens.

Then we go on. I've changed the TIM on my 9800GT and that's a royal pain. Let's see what jumps out first.

4. Spaceoid

Spaceoid Private E-2

Hi i have cleaned all the components several times and this still happens,
    i will try out the OCCT and post the results.

5. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Power supply would be my next bet. especially in an older pc. do you know what psu you have? try occt first and see where you go.

6. Spaceoid

Spaceoid Private E-2

ok i run cpu occt and got this
    [​IMG]

7. augiedoggie

Try posting it again as I see nothing.

8. Spaceoid

Spaceoid Private E-2

Hi i hafe had a new problem.... i had a blue screen and memory dump and when it reset its self after this, i had loading OS fail. it would not boot up at all, so i had to reinstall windows, i installed windows 7 ultimate. and my computer would stay on for 10mins or so and just shut down, so i felt my Nbridge and Sbridge chips heatsink and thay was blistering hot. i am sure thay got that hot on windows xp, so i took the sinks off and went to clean them and the compound waslike rock solid! on the chips and on the sinks so i cleaned them off and use silicone compound on them, but still just shuts down after 10 min,

I have a problem installing windows xp, when i go to install xp it will load the files and just stay at the point where it says windows will now continue, i also got a blue screen there to.

I am thinking its time to get a cheep new board, but i would like to try and sort this out some way, also here is the pic that did not load on last post,

ps all my files and programs from last posts are gone, its a clean install.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Did you try new thermal compound on the CPU heat sink as well?

Form the pic posted above your CPU is running WAY to hot.

I believe OCCT used C and not F

89 degrees Celsius = 192.2 degrees Fahrenheit

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  10. augiedoggie

Ya, that's way too hot for an AMD! Clean the surfaces with a lint free cloth and isopropyl alcohol(the stronger the better and is inexpensive) and reapply. Decent how-to video.

11. Spaceoid

Spaceoid Private E-2

ok i will try that out, so this could be why it keeps shutting down!.
    i will post what happens.

12. Spaceoid

Spaceoid Private E-2

Right ok i have done that what u said, cleand all the parts, i am on the pc that needs this thread now. so lets se how it gos, so faar so good, i did change my heatsink back to its old one with a new fan in, the other one was rly big and heavy. I will try occt now agen

13. Spaceoid

Spaceoid Private E-2

ok i have run occt for 5 minets and it did not shut down here are some pics while running and after i stoped it.

[​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

14. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

That looks much better but still a little on the warm side (not enough to cause problems though) assuming it is idle. I have the same chip and mine idles at about 45c and under full load it peaks at 75c. I think I suggested replacing thermal paste in my first reply...:confused:-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds