Comp SLOWS when external drive on---WHY??@@!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wishfulgeek, Apr 6, 2005.

1. wishfulgeek

wishfulgeek Private E-2

I have a problem (okay so more than one). When my external hard drive ( Maxtor 6 USB Device) is turned on, it slows down the entire computer, it takes minutes to even open a folder. Why would this happen? :eek:
    My memory seems to be okay.
    Here is some info, I do not know what you would need to help me?
    Any help I would be very thankful for.

WinXP PRO
    Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    2.79 GHZ
    768 MB of RAM

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

welcome to the forums!

when you plug in the hard drive, do you see a message on the bottom right that says, "high speed usb device plugged in to a low speed port blah blah blah?" if so, then you'll probably want to install updated chipset drivers so windows will use usb2.0 (cuz usb1.1 is really slow)

if you don't see it, does windows slow down like it can't read off of any hard drive? like you click on something, it clicks, but it just sits there for a couple minutes.

3. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Is the CPU/memory being utilized more when the usb drive is on.
    If yes,then what process is doing this?
    If not the problem could be a device configuration issue.

4. wishfulgeek

wishfulgeek Private E-2

---No, Strogg, I don't see a message like that.
    ---Yes, when I click like a folder or something, it'll take a few minutes to just open....
    ---It usually takes like 5 minutes before the slowness thing kicks in.
    ---Kadavill, It does not seem like the cpu memory is being used more when turned on...
    ---What does it mean for me, "device configuration prob"?

Thank you guys for your time

5. Anon-068c403e2d

It means nothing yet.
    Maybe you should check if the logical disk management service is swithched on.
    Another guy had that problem.
    control panel>administative tools>services

6. Anon-068c403e2d

Does your internal disk also slow down during the time?

7. wishfulgeek

wishfulgeek Private E-2

Hello,
    -My c: drive also slows down at that time.
    -I went to control panel>administative tools>services, but then there is this big confusing list of things, I don't understand how to check if the logical disk management service is swithched on?
    Thank you

8. Anon-068c403e2d

Go down alphabetically >find logical Disk management(2services)>Right click>Properties>
    Make sure it is automatic.

9. wishfulgeek

wishfulgeek Private E-2

Hello,
    --I did this and yet my comp slowed down within a few minutes. I don't get it!
    -- Would you have any other ideas?
    --Thank you for helping me out,

10. Anon-068c403e2d

Does device manager show usb 2.0 enhanced host controller.

11. wishfulgeek

wishfulgeek Private E-2

"Maxtor 6 Y120PO USB DEvice", is all it says. When I right clicked Properties on it, I could find no "usb 2.0 enhanced host controller".

thank you

12. Anon-068c403e2d

The usb 2.0 feature is not the maxtor feauture it is the usb port feauture, dont look under maxtor look under usb controllers.And check if you have usb 2.0 in your motherboard manual.
    USB 1.1 max bandwidth=12mbps
    USB 2.0 max bandwidth=480mbps

If that is the reason, you need usb 2.0 to fix it.

13. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You say you have XP PRO, but you don't say what Service Packs if any are installed?

XP on it's own does not support USB 2.0, you need SP1 or greater as they contain the required drivers.

Also make sure you have DMA enabled for all your drives.

14. wishfulgeek

wishfulgeek Private E-2

--I have xp Service pack 1.
    --It does not say USB 2.0, it says, (there are many different ones)

"Intel(R) 828011EB USB Universal Host Controller -24D2"
    "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller"
    "VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Companion Controller"
    "VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller"

Thanks again and again

15. Insomniac

It says "enhanced" which means USB 2.0.

What size is your power supply?

Make sure DMA is enabled for that device.

What size is the drive and how much free space is there?

Does it have a Firewire connection you can try?

16. wishfulgeek

wishfulgeek Private E-2

What size is your power supply?
    --Do not know, but it has its own (plugged into wall).

Make sure DMA is enabled for that device.
    --All DMA's are enabled it says.

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL
    Device 0
    current transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode 5
    Transfer Mode: DMA if available

PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL
    Device 0
    current transfer mode: PIO MODE

SECONDARY IDE CHANNEL
    Device 0
    current transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2

What size is the drive and how much free space is there?
    --74.4G total 2.94G free

Does it have a Firewire connection you can try?
    --I think the external drive does but not my computer.

17. Insomniac

No it doesn't.

It says the current transfer rate for the second one down is PIO. It only says DMA if available.

You should be using DMA, so it mustn't be available for that channel.

Check the Bios settings first, then Device Manager.

It would also be a good idea to use the latest motherboard drivers as these will allow DMA as well as better transfer through the controller drivers.

Also, you don't have enough free space. The drive needs more free space so it can move files around.

Remove any programs you don't use to free up space, then carry out a CHKDSK and defrag.

(It's a pity you don't have a firewire card as that would tell you if USB is the culprit)

18. wishfulgeek

wishfulgeek Private E-2

Okay, sorry I'm lost.....

How do I "Check the Bios settings first, then Device Manager." ?

How do I find drivers for my motherboard, I do'nt know what the motherboards name is or version??

Also this external drive is just for storing files, dows it still need more free space?

Thanks

19. Insomniac

No, not if it's just for storing files.

What size and how much free space for the other ones then?

Regardless of whether this is related to the original problem, you need to make sure that all your drives are using DMA.

Before you do anything, you need to find out your motherboard details and update the drivers, which is always a good thing to do anyway.

From the download section here, download and install Everest Home Edition (freeware) and that will tell you what hard and software you have installed and provide links for the drivers.

Once they have been updated, you will need to make sure that DMA is enabled in the Bios.

To enter the Bios, as you boot up you should see a message at the bottom of the screen saying "to enter the Bios press del (delete)" or similar.

You need to tap this repeatedly to gain entry. Del is the most common, but it can vary so just press whatever it tells you to.

Once in the Bios, look under each heading or "chapter" where the drives are listed.

Somewhere in there it will list what each device, including CD roms and DVD roms will be using. They should all be DMA and the higher the better, EG UDMA 4.

PIO mode is not desirable as it is much slower and only for slower, older devices or troubleshooting.

Once you have checked that, then you need to check Device Manager.

Go to Start, and right-click My Computer, Properties, Hardware tab, then click the Device Manager button.

Under your IDE controllers, double-click each channel and check the Advanced Settings tab.

It should list DMA if available for Transfer Mode, and Ultra DMA Mode followed by a number, not PIO mode.

20. Insomniac

One more thing I forgot to add at the start :p , try freeing up some space on that drive and see if that improves.

10-15 % free space should do it. Whether it does or not you should still carry out the above anyway.

21. wishfulgeek

wishfulgeek Private E-2

Hey there, :p
    ---I've always had this problem, even with main drive 50% free.
    ---Thanks for the Everest (it's neat), it seems to say I have 6 regular USB's and 2 USB2 ports? How do I physically know which ones they are? I looked up my motherboard in DELL Dimension 4600, but can't find which is which? They (usb ports) all look alike?!!
    ---Should I still go into Bios and do all DMA's? I read once that it could be dangerous and problemize your system if somethings incompatible, true?
    --Sorry for the long long problem, not very computer saavy. :confused:

Peripherals

USB1 Controller Intel 82801EB ICH5 - USB Universal Host Controller
    USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
    USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
    USB2 Controller Intel 82801EB(M) ICH5(-M) - Enhanced USB2 Controller
    USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

Thank u again and again and again and......

22. Insomniac

Yes you will still need to go into the Bios and check DMA.

USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 all look the same physically.

You have to look for the word "enhanced" meaning it's USB 2.0.

If it doesn't say that then it's USB 1.1.

23. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Agree with Insomniac, you need more hard drive space on that drive. As well as uninstalling programs you no longer use, try these 3. All are free, don't conflict with each other and each finds stuff the other 2 miss. Run them after every net session for best housekeeping results.

Run Cleanup! first, with the volume up for a laugh. Read the stats when it is run. It will amaze you how much stuff it removes.

Cleanup! http://www.stevengould.org/
    EmpTemp http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1575
    and CrapCleaner aka CCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191

Index.dat files, in particular, build up if you don't regularly delete them.

Also, as mentioned previously, do a defrag after the housekeeping. Bazza

24. wishfulgeek

wishfulgeek Private E-2

When I went into Bios ver. A02, Dell Dimension sereis 2600, I could not find any place where it said DMA or UDMA. I checked each place and went thru the lists. Confused??

25. Insomniac

It's there somewhere, can't remember exactly but I think it may be under Advanced Settings, but it's there.

The first thing I would do is check the Bios for DMA settings, then try to free up some space on the drive, and also make sure you are using the latest motherboard drivers.

If you have Firewire then that would be handy to see if the problem is USB related or elsewhere.

26. wishfulgeek

wishfulgeek Private E-2

I checked again, nothing there. I then looked up on Dells site, and people were saying some versions of Bios don't have that advanced settings option. And some people reported when they updated their Bios they had irreversable problems. :(
    Am I like back at the beggining?
    If I tried to plug this external drive into every USB port I have, maybe I can find the 2 USB 2.0's??

27. Insomniac

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell by looking at them as they look the same.

Try plugging it into different ports and see if there is a speed difference.

28. wishfulgeek

wishfulgeek Private E-2

Sorry, did'nt update, (life got in the way). I'm going to try plugging in different usbs tommorow. Thank you

29. Distilled

Distilled Private E-2

Did anyone every figure this problem out? I have a IOMEGA 120GB external and the drive crapped out so I put an 80GB Maxtor I had in the case in it's place and I get the same results talked about here. One thing that I have found is the drive runs flawlessly on a USB 1.1 port but not on a 2.0 port. I'm pretty savvy on the ol' puter here and have addressed every issue I can think of and have even tried various sizes of partitions and different types of partitions and have only gotten as far as seeing the drive in recognized but not accessible.

I've got a pretty easy fix I think, I'm just going to swap out one of my WD internal drives and I have a hunch it'll be fine but my brow is still raised on this, I can't think of a logical reason why 2.0 would not be compatible.....

30. sl00py99

sl00py99 Private First Class

:eek: Hi. I agree with Strogg in that it sounds like a USB 2.0 drive trying to run on a USB 1.1-only port. However, I was under the impression that USB 2.0 drivers were first included in XP Service Pack 2. Anyway, I recommend installing SP2. Also, if your USB ports are 1.1-only, you might install a USB 2.0 adapter card and try your drive on that. Lastly, You might try going to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services (that long, ugly list you mentioned...g), and look for "Indexing Service", and set it for "Automatic", and start it up. I think you would see an improvement. Good night and good luck.

31. Distilled

Distilled Private E-2

Well it's definately a 2.0 thing. I went in to the BIOS and set all USB to 1.1 and it works on all ports just fine, I put it back on 1.1+2.0 and it only works on the extra ports on the back of the keyboard. (which are 1.1 only) SO, I'm stumped, even with the WD drive I got the same results. External box specs out as 2.0 ready but apparently not......

::stumped::

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds