Comp Upgrade:advice needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oz_wwjd, Sep 25, 2012.

1. oz_wwjd

oz_wwjd Private E-2

I'm looking at playing the new game Fall of cybertron and according to http://www.systemrequirementslab.co...name=Transformers:+Fall+of+Cybertron&id=11413 I need some serious upgrades to even meet the minimum specs. I'd just like to know what my best options are,in terms of what I need,as I would like to not spend great amounts of cash,but on the other hand I would like to do the job properly.
    System Specs enclosed below,in the attached file.

Attached Files:

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

You are not going to like my answer. I could address all the shortcomings but the answer is everything. In short, 4 gigs is borderline (was ok in XP), horrible brand name motherboard, older dual core cpu and a video card that is almost minimum on most new games which also only has 512 kb ram on it and I don't know if it supports DX11.

Honestly if you change one thing, you usually need to change another. You could if you wanted to try it, double your ram and update your video card but you are still looking at a good 200 bucks minimum for decent hardware. Video card is a huge factor in new games as far as speed and quality go.

So, your at a problem many have. How tight is cash? Can we get you to a new PC with newere everything to last you for years? I bought

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3734918&CatId=6 at 845.

And last year a similar machine from Gateway (same company)

Shop some more and you can get
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=602037&CatId=4928 for 799.

You can go cheaper but then you need to avoid Intel Graphic cards, especially for gaming. That's why these boxes cost so much more, graphic cards are expensive and you upgrading to a great video card and an old PC might be throwing good money after bad.

How about a refurbished PC? Look at the specs here for 500 bucks:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2951332&CatId=5138

Think long and hard about throwing 2-300 into a video card and think more about the next game in a few months. you might be right back here. So, can you swing a few hundred more than you planned on? Thats the issue.

If not, double your memory and decide what you can spend on graphics. You can get cheap and still upgrade for as little as 100 bucks:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4368402&Sku=M452-0554 NBA and for a little more you can get a factory overclocked card:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=555358&CatId=3669

Read carefully and read customer reviews before you do it. Lots of video card choices out there. Going from an 8600 to a new card will give you hundreds of choices but you can find your price range on TigerDirect (or NewEgg) and shop by price and reviews.

Phew! Let me know how you make out.

3. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Agreed. Let us know your budget and we can give you some options. Are you comfortable upgrading components yourself?

4. oz_wwjd

oz_wwjd Private E-2

My budget would be around $2000 would be my maximum I've never installed components myself but I'm willing to give it a try. My worry is that I could mess something up,as I have never done it before. If possible I'd prefer not to get a new machine as I am in the habit of downloading software on to my computer and seeing I backup about once in a blue moon,I'd have to re-acquire all my registration keys and re-download everything on to my system which would be a major pain.

5. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Holey :***. With a $2g budget you could build a mother of PCs! I assume you are in the states and working in US dollars?

TBH I would build new rig. I know it is a PITA to re-install software but trust me it would be worth it. Im off to put a spec togther now!

BRB

Rich

6. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Here is my suggestion

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x ...
    Item #: N82E16811119160
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    $20.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $159.99

Galaxy 67NQH6DN6KXZ GeForce GTX 670 GC 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    Item #: N82E16814162118
    Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
    Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
    $20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
    $479.99

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
    Item #: N82E16817341018
    -$40.00 Instant
    $30.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
    $129.99
    $89.99

G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2600 (PC3 20800) Desktop Memory Model F3-2600C10Q-16GTXD
    Item #: N82E16820231592
    Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
    $329.99

ASUS Maximus V EXTREME LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
    Item #: N82E16813131858
    -$10.00 Instant
    $389.00
    $379.00

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
    Series: Core i7
    L2 Cache: 4 x 256KB
    L3 Cache: 8MB
    Manufacturing Tech: 22 nm
    Model #: BX80637I73770K
    Item #: N82E16819116501
    Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
    $339.99

Rosewill RCX-Z300 92mm Ball CPU Cooler
    Item #: N82E16835200034
    $14.99

Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW180A310 2.5" 180GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM
    Item #: N82E16820167113
    Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
    -$15.00 Instant
    $199.99
    $184.99
    Subtotal: $1,968.93

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  7. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

You may also need a windows cd

8. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Not kidding, I've probably got $800 in my rig max.

I took over eight months to build it, getting all the stuff when each item went off at a good price. Unlocked and clocked dual core AMD CPU, five year warranty Sabertooth motherboard, Crucial DDR3 RAM, XFX graphics, and an OCZ power supply.

It better last at least six years...

9. oz_wwjd

oz_wwjd Private E-2

I'm in Australia and working off Aus currency which I don't know what $2000 would be in U.S currency. Would putting it together myself be a better option,as frankly I've had bad dealings with some of the guys that do this kind of work,in my area and I'm not going through that again. I also need someone I can contact quickly in case in anything going wrong,as I've had to deal with U.S customer support before and getting hold of them due to the timezone differences is an absolute nightmare.

Failing that could I have a list of parts as I do have a friend that I think would be able to help me,but I'd need to tell him what I'm looking for,spec-wise. And re- the installing issue tit not that that bothers me and getting hold of the licensing key as some of the software I purchased did require a specific key to unlock it and I didn't keep track of what the key was. Getting them to re-send is can be a bit troublesome at the best of times.

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

11. oz_wwjd

oz_wwjd Private E-2

Could I please get a list of the hardware that I'm looking for it if I want my new PC to last for at least 5 years,as my friend used to work in the comp industry,so he can get the stuff at cost,but I need to give him a basic idea on what I want,spec-wise.

12. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

At 2,000 budget the sky is the limit. There are a couple ways to go here.

If you are not doing HARDCORE gaming or multimedia, 2,000 is overkill. Save your money and look at the boxes I listed above. When I shop I look for the newest hardware then I step back a year or so. By doing this you literally can buy a new box for half the price. If you buy the newest and baddest tech and you don't need it then that hardware and the extra money you spent is gone in 6 months when the newer processors and video card comes out.

You can do this for 1k and I (personally) never build anymore. Most computers are the same and you can often buy a new PC in a price range you can't beat building it yourself.

I know you want to build it but I think that's a waste of time so I am sticking to my guns here :)

I have bought 2 high end 1800+ boxes from Alienware and frankly I have been happier with my 899 Gateway ready to go boxes. I don't need liquid cooling and overclocked hardware. Why? That new technology does nothing for year old games and multimedia, think about it. If your games and multimedia require more power in a year, your technology is now a year old. Its a vicious cycle.

Also if you buy a pre built box you can always upgrade the video card in a year. You could add a SSD drive for faster gaming and multimedia by running those programs off the SSD drive.

If you decide to build, I get it and good luck. Whatever makes you happy!

13. oz_wwjd

oz_wwjd Private E-2

Thing is I am involved in hardcore gaming. I was recently involved in the End Of Nations Beta and let's just say at 24X24 and higher players my computer doesn't like it. Also I don't build the stuff,and have never bought a pre-build box,as I said I know someone that can get the basic parts at costs,and knows a heck of a lot more about it than me,so I just tell him basically what I'm looking for and what I need it for and he builds it for me,but as I said I need to give him a basic idea of what I'm looking for. The other issue is that I have problems with power fluctuations which my comp doesn't like at all,so I'm using a power supply to screen those out. Would a newer comp be more sensitive to that kind of thing,as I lost a comp due to that issue,before I realized the extent of the problem? also just because I said $2,000 doesn't mean I want to use that much,but I'd be prepared to go that far,if I needed to.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds