Compact Flash Chkdsk Error "cannot open volume for direct access"

Discussion in 'Software' started by Noodlesninja, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Noodlesninja

Noodlesninja Private E-2

OK found this website seems like the place to go for answers hoping someone can help me out and save me from sending this to a recovery place.

I have a canon 7d which shoots on compact flash cards. I use a usb card reader. Was doing everything like normal but the card didn't show up. I removed it then looked at the card reader to find a bent pin. I must have bent it plugging this card in.

I then tried the card in my camera for a transfer of footage, and the camera started to glitch. No buttons worked and it eventually showed an error. It did this whether it was plugged into the computer or not.

So I got a new card reader, it is currently drive f. I tried to do Chkdsk in command prompt but it tells me "cannot open volume for direct access"

If I try to open the drive I get "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)."

I have both a windows 7, and 8 computer. I feel this is something I should be able to fix on the drive, seems to me like a bad format or like pulling the drive out while data was being written to it issue. Maybe that is just wishful thinking.

The card is a sandisk extreme 16gb card.

Any info is helpful!

Thanks!

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

That bent pin in the card reader may have corrupted the flash drive due to improper connection.

3. Noodlesninja

Noodlesninja Private E-2

Thats what I was thinking, and I was hoping there would be someway to fix it, like the chkdsk function...

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

chkdsk /r or chkdsk /f looks for and tries to fix bad sectors on physical hard drives. I don't think it will work on a flash drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds