Compaq External Multibay Drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by xanarchyx, Mar 29, 2011.

1. xanarchyx

xanarchyx Private E-2

I found this Compaq USB External Multibay unit while going through a pile of used computer stuff at a yard sale. It's in very good shape but none of my laptops or desktops will recognize it without the proper drivers.

Series PPE001
    Compaq Part # 217389-001
    Serial # 1J33MGA1A012

It also has a PO7455 on it, not sure what this means. I've searched online and tried a couple I've found with no joy, any help would be appreciated.Thanks.
    Also, I have tried HP support site and found nothing which is crazy but that's how it goes.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version and Service Pack are you using? these devices as far as I remember dont need drivers as they tend to use Windows Mass Storage driver.

Have you tried a few different of your USB ports, and the ones to try and the ones connected directly around the back of a desktop PC and on a laptop any should do.

In Device Manager do you have any yellow ! marks and if so by what devices?

It may well be faulty?! so have you tried it in another PC just to test and try a different version of Windows, maybe Windows Vista or 7, if your using Win XP.

3. xanarchyx

xanarchyx Private E-2

I want to hook it up to my XP Pro laptop. It's running XP Pro SP2, and it keeps asking for the disc. I've tried leaving it in on a reboot and it keeps coming up with same error.
    I've tried it on 3 different laptops, 2 desktops all with different verisions of Windows (XP, Vista x64 and x32). Tried as many USB ports as I could reach, still nothing. They all see it but don't recognize it. In Device Manager it shows that it's a USB Floppy Drive but no matter what I do the yellow question marks stay. If I go into the device properties it gives me a device driver error, think it's Error 28.
    It's very perplexing to me, I have never had this much problems using any device that I thought would use Windows mass Storage driver. It may very well be bad, still not quite ready to give up yet.

Thanks.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Error 28 is a missing driver and I don't know what to suggest to you next as HP don't as far as I know have a specific driver for this device.

What you could try is with the yellow ! mark right click and choose properties and then in the properties window choose Details tab and then in the drop-down choose Hardware Ids and copy and paste the text in the value Windows into your next post, the ID strings may lead to a driver, but I fear they may not, but worth a try.

5. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I am not sure about this but looking at this site that sells the unit, it seems that it is compatible with only a few compaq computers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds