Compaq laptop computer troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JJF, Nov 16, 2004.

1. JJF

JJF Private E-2

Here's how I got to this point : Over the weekend, laptop decided to give me a "physical memory dump" blue screen of death. I'm not sure of what was the exact error code, but the message was clear that computer was going to shut down to prevent damage...physical memory dump to proceed. I booted in safe mode, and that took forever to finally load up. And, even in safe mode, I got the same "physical memory dump" blue screen. In the next boot-up, I decided to go to last known configuration. I was able to do that, but it seemed like the computer was struggling to even accomplish that task. Granted, that was the first time I had to use such a start-up, so I'm not the best judge of how long that should take. Anyways, I was able to get to a previous configuration, but the computer again was not right. I believe that I wasn't able to even log onto my account. Regardless, since I had backed up all personal files, I decided to just wipe the hard drive clean by using the Compaq QuickRestore disks that would bring the computer back to factory settings. I've previously done this a while back and it went smoothly. Basically, I wasn't sure what else to troubleshoot, and decided to take the time and do a new install. I should also add that during this entire time, I was hearing strange noises coming from the hard drive (or so I think). And, when I was 10% into the Compaq restore, I received an error message, "Error #49 Write fault". And, the restore process ended and computer rebooted, and proceeded to tell me no operating system was found. This isn't too surprising since I'm sure the little "restore" that did happen wiped out some files.

So, where am I now? Well, I do want to get the laptop up and running. A new hard drive is about to be delivered today. I'm not sure if that is the problem. but I guess that is the start.

I am in need of some help here guys. Here's my system information:

Compaq Presario 2135US, 1.8GHz Celeron processor, 256MB RAM, Windows XP Home
    Current hard drive is Toshiba HDD2181 30GB, 4200RPM

I do not have a boot disk (I have no floppy drive), however, over the course of the weekend, I did manage to come across "The Ultimate Boot CD". So, I have some diagnostic tools to try.

I'm a little worried about my memory. When I enter BIOS, the memory that is detected is 191 MB. Since I have a 256MB memory stick, where did some of that memory go? Also, from the boot CD, I did a memtest86 and it appeared I did not have any errors. Although even in memtest86, only 191MB memory showed up. I should also add that I only allowed it to go through 7 passes (approx 30-35 min).

Also, I ran the SalvationData HDD Scan, and that tool only showed 7 sectors that are bad. It was a very,very,very small percentage when compared to the amount of sectors on the HDD.

I'm at a lost as to what to do here. I would like to solve this problem myself, but I'm a novice at this.

At the time of the problems, I had Outlook running in the background. I was actually away from my computer, came back, and next thing I knew the BSoD popped up. I was running Norton AV 2003 and virus definitions were up to date and a scan was done a few days back.

What's the next thing I should do? The new hard drive will be here in the afternoon.

Thanks for any help or suggestions...

My best,
    John :rolleyes:

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

In my opinion, it seems a toss up. It could be your hard drive, RAM, or both, but not likely both.

Since you have 256 and it is showing 191, that may be a sign that your problem is RAM. 256 is low, wouldn't hurt to order a 512 stick of RAM, it could benefit you in more ways than one, might fix your issue, and give you more performance. I would try the hard drive first, since you have already ordered it and all. If you get similar results, replace the RAM. If the new hard drive is bigger, than you benefit from that too. :cool:

3. JJF

JJF Private E-2

Thanks for the advice. I guess I should say that the reason why only 191 MB of RAM was being detected was due to 64MB being shared with video. I'm not a gamer, so please no lecturing me about shared vs dedicated video memory. The laptop so far has suited my needs and applications. Anyways, I am hoping hard drive will fix problem.

Speaking of that. Once the new hard drive arrives, should I go ahead and use the Compaq Quick Restore CDs for the install? Is there any advantage of doing that? Or, do I need to format/partition the hard drive prior to doing anything?

Again, sorry for the novice questions.

John

4. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

The Compaq Quick restore does format the disk I believe.

5. JJF

JJF Private E-2

Well, the new hard drive arrived--although one day later due to FedEx plane problems. But, I swapped hard drives (upgraded to a Seagate Momentus 40GB, 5400RPM, 8MB cache), and all seems to be working well. I performed the new install yesterday and updated drivers, windows stuff, office applications. I even ran some diagnostic tests and things seem to be ok. There appears to be a little noise coming from the Seagate drive, but it might be how that particular drive parks its head or something of the sort. But, the Seagate diagnostic test on the hard drive came up with no errors. I think this is my paranoia setting in. But, thanks again for the advice. I'm not sure why a failing hard drive would give a "physical memory dump", but the good news is that the system is up and running.

6. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Physical memory dump could mean irrepairable bad blocks on the drive. I have seen it happen on external drives before.

Great things are working! Good Luck.

7. the_mc

the_mc Private E-2

"Error #49 Write fault" does mean hard drive issues, usually a failed write.

The blue screen was likely caused by what the system was trying to access on the bad block...like a driver ...etc.

Great work on solving your own issue from all your symtoms!

8. jrf7243

jrf7243 Private E-2

BSODs compaq presario 2135US after 4 reinstalls of WIN7. New Toshiba MK6025GAS. Everything things looks good, memory and hard drive according to the Bios. I guess it is true that idle minds are the devils workshop because I should have thrown this thing in the dumpster a long time ago.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds