compaq laptop will not boot; stuck at compaq screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pharmali, Jan 27, 2009.

1. pharmali

pharmali Private E-2

My laptop worked fine one day then the next it got stuck at the compaq screen. F10 key nor any other key will work. I have unplugged, taken out the battery and held down the power key to no avail. I do not even have the option to go to safe mode or any other screen. It does not sound like it is trying to boot and when I insert a disk it tries to run then it just stops. I have tried taken out the battery and just using the ac adapter and I have tried unplugging it and using just the battery; nothing. Any thoughts?? My knowledge of computers is very very limited so please respond in layman terms. thanks....

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Is it still under warranty?

3. pharmali

pharmali Private E-2

Nope, way past warranty. Do you think its the motherboard?

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I can't say for sure but motherboard failure seems quite likely here. http://www.laptoptips.ca/hardware/ lists various hardware problems with laptops. Of the problems listed there, I'd say motherboard failure is most likely your situation.

5. pharmali

pharmali Private E-2

thank you for taking the time to respond and for your input.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds