Compaq Micro Keyboard 251274-001; manual or handbook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David Neale, Sep 21, 2011.

1. David Neale

David Neale Private E-2

I have just obtained a Compaq Micro Keyboard for my Compaq model 3950 Pocket PC. This is the tiny keyboard which pushes onto the base of the Pocket PC.

I downloaded the driver, and it appears to work well. However, for the life of me, I am having trouble finding out how to, say, save a new Word document. I don't have a handbook/manual or any information on the device, and I am beginning to wonder whether I can fully control the Pocket PC from the keyboard, or still have to tap some functions using the stylus.

Can anyone advise whether any manual or handbook, or the most basic of notes, was ever supplied for these keyboards?

Many thanks,

David Neale

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The keyboard is just an extension of the interface on the pocketpc.

3. David Neale

David Neale Private E-2

Thank-you, Brownizs.

Does that mean that, even with the keyboard attached, I still have to use the stylus against the screen for some functions?

Please excuse my extreme ignorance.

Kind regards,

David

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. David Neale

David Neale Private E-2

Plodr,
    many thanks for that. I never knew that the Slim Keyboard existed, but I have just found one on EvilBay, complete with CD and etcetera, for a very good price. Wish I'd seen that before I bought the Micro Keyboard, but the Slim does look very much better than the Micro, and I hadn't paid a lot for that.

My sincere and heartfelt thanks for your help here.

Kind regards,

David

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You are a better searcher than me. I looked around HP's site for awhile, put in search terms but got no where near any kind of information on the micro. I read business threads and again tried some different search terms but came up empty.

Ah, that appears to be for the Pocket PC. I was looking for drivers for the keyboard.

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

All I had to do, was search by the Pocket PC manufacturer model number. It is not that hard. HP & Compaq's website is set up to find the majority of stuff, by using the model # (ie Pocket PC 3950). There is no real driver for the keyboard. If you look through the link, you will find the driver information on the various keyboards that were available at that time for that device. When you hooked the device up to a computer running Windows, and ActiveSync would start, you would drag the filename to activesync, and the device would load it.

It is because these devices were limited to who they were marketed to, and very limited memory, is why Smart phone devices have taken off. They along with compact disc & mp3 players started to be marketed to the professionals on the move, and people did not want to carry multiple devices along with a cell phone or digital camaera. Because of that, we now have iPhones, Black Berry's, etc that you can not only pull email, look at files, play games, listen to music, and collaborate with others, while on the go.

The bad thing is, the Pocket PC was a very poorly marketed device, along with a very expensive cost, that people did not really purchase them. If they were marketed like they should have been, as an extension of your home computer, the same as tablets in the beginning should have been, people would have adopted those technologies more in the beginning, instead of now.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds