compaq persario no audio driver detected!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by chandlertlc, Nov 15, 2008.

1. chandlertlc

chandlertlc Private E-2

I have a Compaq presario S4010CL. this was passed down to me so i have no idea where the audio driver went in the first place. it all ends up at no audio driver detected. i have tried and tried to search for the audio driver but all there is is updates and i need the actual driver. HELP!!! I NEED SOUND!!:confused

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks :major
    First, go into the system BIOS; usually pressing F2 or Del or F10 or F1 at power up will get you there. Poke around and make sure the on board audio is enabled. Then be sure to save your changes, exit and reboot. Once in Windows, download and install this chipset driver and reboot when prompted. After Windows loads up again, download and install this audio driver and reboot even if you're not prompted. If you still don't have audio, run Everest and post a report as an attachment:

3. chandlertlc

chandlertlc Private E-2

thanks! i will try this afternoon. hopefully i wont have to post a report

4. chandlertlc

chandlertlc Private E-2

ok, so i finally got around to starting your instructions. a new problem has occured. why is BIOS asking me for a password at the main screen, and where would i even begin to find that...compaq? windows? help me oh knower of all driver things :dood

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

So, you're saying that when you press F2 (or whatever) that you're being prompted for a password to enter the BIOS? There is no 'universal' or pre-set password. The password has to be manually enabled and configured by the user, so at some point in the past, either you or someone else set a password. Generally speaking, the password can be cleared by opening the case (unplug the power cord from the PC first!) and jumpering the BIOS to clear it and set all settings to factory default, or you can remove the BIOS battery for at least 10-15 seconds. Be sure you make note of how the battery is installed BEFORE removing it! You don't want to put it in backward!!! Once the BIOS has been cleared, you should be able to get in and check the audio settings; you'll probably have to set the date and time also since you just cleared all the settings.
    Good luck!!!!

[dlb]

(you should also provide the Everest report after checking the BIOS audio settings so we can take a crack at getting that driver installed)

EDIT- after researching your motherboard at this link I see that it uses a standard Realtek AC97 audio driver, which is available for download here at Major Geeks, or from this link to the Compaq/HP drivers.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  6. chandlertlc

chandlertlc Private E-2

ok, so i just tried the two downloads you had at the bottom. the realtek is in my computer but i dont know how to make it my driver, nothing magical happened like the sound working automatically. the other dowload at the end of the dowload says i need to dowload it to my device manager and i have no idea how to do that. ive tried. can you send me a link or a pic of what the bios battery looks like so i can pull it out and reset password so i can get you that report? i really appreciate all your help

7. chandlertlc

chandlertlc Private E-2

Re: compaq persario trying to find bios pw

I did some research and found a step by step instruction manual on how and where the batter/jumpers are and how to remove them. i will do this to reset bios password. it also gave me a list of generic passwords to try in case of a static related issue that was causing the bios password. none of them worked. link where i found it:
    http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/bios_password.htm

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds