Compaq Pres 6000 Beep Codes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smittji, Sep 21, 2005.

1. smittji

smittji Private E-2

Trying to get a Presario 6000 (2200/1.8Gh, 462 socket,512Ram, Onboard vid/sound).. I have read through the threads as well as the Compaq Beep Code sheet and cannot find anything matching my symptoms.

I power up there is no post codes (No vid out of mach as monitor light stays orange/amber).. The beep I get is exactly as follows: beeep....5 sec....beeep...5sec..beeep.. etc. IF I had to categorize it I would say short beep. The beep is the same and will just continue with the same pattern, not short or long. no stopping at 6,7,8 beeps. Everything on the machine is disco'd (drives, I/O's etc)with the exception of CPU and RAM. Here are the steps I've tried:

1. Replaced power supply
    2. Disco'd one item at a time to isolate.
    3. Ensured CPU Fan is running.
    4. removed RAM sticks and beeps stayed the same
    5. No visible burnt marks on MOBO.

I am thinking MOBO or CPU. I live in an isolated location so any parts have to be ordered online. I was hoping someone had run across this before and could save me time/money by not having to ordering both, or give advice on something I haven't tried :)..

Thanks in advance...

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Who makes your BIOS? Your beep code depends on the make of BIOS you have installed.

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

If the computer your on now has a removable agp or pci video card,might be a good idea to swap it over see if your presario posts,as your onboard video may have fried,I will see if I can find anything,can you have a look at the name of the bios chip on the motherboard ;)

4. smittji

smittji Private E-2

Sorry meant to post that first.. It has Phoenix Bios. I've looked up beep sheet for them and can find nothing matching 1 beep, 5 sec, 1 beep ,5 sec etc..It's all in patterns of beeps (2-1-3-1 etc).

5. smittji

smittji Private E-2

I will try and round up a spare PCI or AGP vid card and try it.. Didn't really go that direction since Presario/Phoenix has precise beep codes for failed onboard vid ?? I could always be wrong though..

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Heh, I have the beep code lists for a couple of different phoenix BIOS'.
    Do you know the model of BIOS you have?
    I can tell you teh beep code if it is Phoenix BIOS 4.x or Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS or Phoenix BIOS version 1.xx, but you'll have to narrow things down for me, if possible.

7. Rikky

The brand and model of motherboard will help also :)

8. smittji

smittji Private E-2

MOBO is AM35 (AM3506)

The only info I can find on the Bios is:

PhoenixBios
    Pentium IV
    Phoenix 2001

Sry.. If I could boot I could get more info..

9. Rikky

10. smittji

smittji Private E-2

Thanks for the help on the manual... appreciate it..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds