compaq presario boot up issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whril, Apr 11, 2009.

1. whril

whril Private First Class

Have a Compaq Presario that when it boots goes to "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter". Just before this the Compaq logo flashes briefly. I have tried accessing the bios to make sure the harddrive is on the right boot. I have tried del, F1, F2, F10, F11, and F12 to no avail.

I don't have the xp disc that came for this machine (actually belongs to a friend and she lost it) so I downloaded Boot CD – Windows XP Emergency Boot CD (XP SP2 Pro & XP SP2 Home). When I inserted the disk and started the computer it said something about changing the boot preference. Tried getting into bios again, no go, then inserted disc again and all i am getting is the black screen/white cursor.

How can I get into bios or get a boot up disc to work?

thanks
    smile
    whril

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Keys to get into the BIOS that you have not tried:
    F3
    esc
    ctrl+alt+esc
    ctrl+alt+ins
    ctrl+alt+enter
    ctrl+alt+del
    ctrl+alt+s
    page up key
    page down key
    esc+F1

3. whril

no go, none of those worked either. any other suggestions?

thanks
    smile
    whril

4. plodr

Change keyboards on the off chance it is not recognizing the keyboard you are using.

5. whril

duh....... the keyboard was the problem. sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. thank you so very much.

smile

6. plodr

Hey, at least you solved it!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds