Compaq Presario Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Omegamerc, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Im not sure what model # it is but its a Pentium II 400mhz 128mb ram a cdrom and an 8mb ati rage. The comp doesnt want to boot any more in normal mode; so i tryed booting it in safe mode but f8 isnt working; whats the correct key? also if i was to reinstall it with my Win98 cd will it be possible ? i mean since its a compaq.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

F8 is the correct key, most likely.

What OS do you have?

3. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

no f8 isnt the key; im pretty sure Compaq bios have a diff key just like Sony Vaio's do... its a w98 machine; my cuz's not mine

4. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

try f8-f11 then, if you need to get in the bios it's more likely than not "DEL".

5. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

They key to get the boot menu is <F8>. Sony won't change that, because MS would have to recompile the bootloader just for them -- which would be ludicrously expensive. They might change the key you use to access the BIOS, but that has nothing to do with safe mode.

If <F8> doesn't appear to work, try holding down the left or right <Ctrl> keys (this is identical to <F8>) or you can try <F5>, which will boot Safe Mode without the boot menu that the other methods give you.

For safe mode remember to wait for the "POST OK" beep before [rapidly] pressing the <F8> key. For CMOS setup, you should begin pressing it immediately upon power up.

If you wish to access the BIOS (CMOS setup utility), I believe F1 is they key that Sony Vaio uses. I would go HERE to get the coorrect key if that doesn't work.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

So, do you want Safe Mode or the BIOS?

Because your post says Safe Mode, and that is F8.

7. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

safe mode; i got the bios to boot but nothing usefull there.. but i think the w98 on it is completly fubar'd so entering in safemode will prove of little help...

8. acejones

acejones A Different Title

not necessarily...if you can boot to safe mode, then there is something that loads in normal mode that is causing your problems.

9. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

well i was convinced it wasnt f8 because it didnt want to boot safe mode by slamming f8 key during boot up

10. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

11. Eskimo

Eskimo Private E-2

as far as reinstalling win 98 sometimes compaq, dell etc do not allow boot from cd first so u have to go into bios and change it

12. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Yes.

13. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

k thx will try

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds