Compaq Presario SR1311NX -- Maximum supported RAM?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kosmicken, Feb 27, 2010.

1. kosmicken

kosmicken Private E-2

I'm researching upgrades for a friend who owns this PC. According the product specs on HP's site, the computer accepts up to 1GB of RAM (2x512MB). The motherboard has two DIMM slots. Why can they each not accept a 1GB module? In fact, the motherboard specs say, "Support up to maximum 2 GB memory (PC manufacturer's maximum memory may differ)." What is it about this machine that limits it to 1GB of RAM? Is this some sort of addressing limitation in the processor? (I've been trying to look that one up; so far I haven't found anything; I'll continue searching.)

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

According to Crucial, 2GB is the max. 2 slots with 1GB per slot.

3. kosmicken

kosmicken Private E-2

Crucial's page for this model says:

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.​

So why would the manufacturer not support more than 1GB?

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

When the 'board was designed and tested, compatible 1GB sticks were were not available.

I have a Dell laptop with the same 512MB/slot limit, it's running 1GB/slot now.

5. kosmicken

kosmicken Private E-2

Well that makes perfect sense. So why hasn't HP updated their specs?

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

"If you want a PC with more RAM, you'll have to buy a new one" or their own RAM suppliers don't make it therefore HP cant sell it at an inflated price so they pretend it doesn't exist or ... I'd suggest you ask HP themselves but I doubt if they'd give an honest answer.

7. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

To be honest, it's more likely that they just don't have the resources to go back and update the specifications of each and every one of their systems as technology changes on almost a monthly basis... but of course that creates a very convenient excuse to tell people to just buy a new computer instead. ;)

@kosmicken
    If you're curious, you can always contact Crucial and ask them why they sell 1GB modules for a system that HP says can only take 512MB per slot. If they are similar to others in the industry though, they'll probably tell you, "because we know it works, and HP don't know what they're talking about". Based on observations and personal experience, I'd say they are probably right about that. :p

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

9. kosmicken

kosmicken Private E-2

Well, I emailed Crucial, and here is what I got from them:

Thank you for contacting us. I found some conflicting information as well. Some sites show a 1GB maximum and some show a 2GB. I searched both the make and model of the actual computer, as well as the make and model of the motherboard. I have it in our database as a 2GB max so that is what I could recommend you to use. When we have a system in our database, it is because we have physically tested the computer with our memory and guarantee compatibility.​

So looks like 2GB it is! Thanks for your help to all who replied.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds