Compaq Presario SR5123WM No power on,

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N5638J, Nov 12, 2010.

1. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Okay i am gonna try to give all the details and see if i can get it out so everyone can understand. If you don't understand anything i say just say so and i will reword it.

Okay i have a Compaq Presario SR5123WM. Now i am the second owner of this system. The first owner only used it afew months then something went wrong and he thought it was the power button and well he let it sit for a year or 2 and now i have it. I put my 430watt PSU in it and it booted right up. So i put 4gigs ram in it and a ATI X1650 video card and have been running fine but a problem has came up so i don't never shut this down in fear it wont start back up because like today the power went out and it took over 8 hours to get it back running and i didn't change a thing for it to run.

This is what it is doing if you shut it down and go to power it up. (It will do afew things.

1: hit the power button and all the fans spin up to high RPM, the keyboard lights up, mouse too and the HDD light flashes once and the dvd-rom light flashes then stops like a normal boot but the green power light does not come on and i get no video or anything else:confused

2: Hit the power and the same thing happens but the only difference is after a second the CPU and Case fan stop spinning while the PSU fans stay spinning.

3: hit the power button and it boots up just fine no errors or anything.

When it is giving me problems i have tried resetting the BIOS, reseatting Ram, Processor, Video card, double checked PSU connections basically pulled it all apart and put it back together.. I have tested all the parts and i found nothing wrong with anything

I am at a loss on this. I never had any type of problem like this before.

I think maybe its the BIOS causing this? Maybe a BIOS update might help or could it be that i got my hands on another Compaq that has a motherboard going out?

Compaq Presario SR5123WM
    Vista Home 32bit
    4gig PC2
    ATI X1650 PCI-E

and this is what my PSU is well mines an older model but just alike as this one

2. N5638J

N5638J Guest

I installed the BIOS update but i am kinda worried about shutting it down to see if it worked because if it didn't i don't know how long it would take to get the dang thing back up.

BTW this is the list of Fixes for the update.

MCP61PM-HM Motherboard BIOS update resolves issue with systems with 4GB RAM not waking up from S3 mode and updates AGESA to version 2.08.15

3. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

If you've already flashed the BIOS, you may as well shutdown/start up and see how it goes. Hopefully it resolves your issue, too.

EDIT: I had a similiar (though not as drastic) issue... my computer would get stuck at POST more often than not, so every time I had to restart (Windows updates, etc.), I'd usually have to try starting it several times for it to work. When it would get stuck, the POST would freeze, or I'd just have weird lines across the screen (this is all before Windows even started loading). Replacing the motherboard solved THAT issue... I have other issues, but either way, that was the fix for that.

4. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Well if i just restart the system i have no problems. And i shut it down last night and this morning it did not want to come on. It started doing something new. when i hit the power button the HDD and fans, and keyboard lights would all come on for a second then shut off and it did this over and over until I turned off the switch on the PSU and then at the same time hit the power button and turn the switch to on and it powered up no problems..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds