Compaq SR1620NX won't start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by randhlmn, Nov 23, 2010.

1. randhlmn

randhlmn Private E-2

My neighbor had a power surge and he has a Compaq SR1620NX and now it doesn't start. All it does is the power button light blinks. I took out the memory and it does the same thing. I also removed the CMOS battery and reinstalled it just to check. And I removed all of the expansion cards. Also a small light on the power supply blinks. I think it is the mobo but I'd like some advice as far as what else to try.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Try hooking up a PSU that you know works to the PC.

Given the other steps you've tried, if this doesn't work my guess is the board is toast.

Before your neighbor gets a new PC (or this one fixed), remind them to buy a GOOD surge protector (at least a 2000 Joule rating) that protects both the outlets and the feed into their Cable or DSL modem. I've seen several PCs and modems nuked by a lightening surge through the cable or DSL/phone line - especially here on the Gulf Coast, the thunderstorm capital of the World.

3. randhlmn

randhlmn Private E-2

gman863,

Thank you for the confirmation. I have a power supply tester that showed the PSU was not the problem, guess I should have added that to my post. I asked him about a surge protector and apparently he thought that a power strip was a surge protector.

Thanks for the advice..I will tell him.

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Sadly, I've also run into people who think something that costs $2.99 and has six outlets is a "surge protector"

FAIL! :-D

5. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Do you know the colour and sequence of the blinking light?

(sometimes it is like a beep code and pinpoints the issue)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds