Compaq v75 crt monitor help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kitagal55, Dec 2, 2006.

1. kitagal55

kitagal55 Private E-2

I hope I am in the right place. I have this monitor and it has 3 usb ports in the base. What I want to know is can I plug my new Logitech Web Cam into one of these ports??? :)

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Possibly. It depends what speed USB connection the camera requires. If it says "USB 2.0", all ports and cables going from the camera into the PC must be able to handle the faster speeds USB 2.0 transfers data at (about 20x the speed of USB 1.0/1.1).

First, check the system requirements on the box or in the camera owners manual: If it says the camera requires "USB 1.0 or 1.1", no problem - hook it up to a port on your monitor, connect a USB cable from the back of the monitor into a USB port on your PC and follow the manufacturer's instructions for loading the software.

If the camera requires "USB 2.0", however, hook it up directly to a USB port on your PC first and make sure it works (if your PC is over 2 years old, you may need to have a USB 2.0 upgrade card installed in it).

Assuming everything is OK up to this point, unplug it from the PC's USB port and plug it in to the monitor's USB port (be sure there is a USB cable running from the back of the monitor into a USB port on your PC). If it works, great. If not, plug it back directly into the PC.

If the length of the USB cable is too short, extention cables are available. Although electronics stores usually charge $25-$30 (US Dollars) for them, they are much less at places like Sam's Club or Wal-Mart.

Hope this helps.:)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds