Compare 6 text files at once

Discussion in 'Software' started by fantabulous, Nov 16, 2012.

1. fantabulous

fantabulous Private E-2

Hi please assist.

I need to compare 6 text files. The files should be similar however there is no master file so this means I have to compare all files against each other. All the files will have slight differences which are not included in the other files.

What tool can I use to compare 6 text files at once & highlight these differences?

What would be a great method to compare these files efficiently? :confused

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Well, do you want all 6 to be identical or not? I really can't tell, based on how you stated your issue. If they are all to be identical, then you need to start with the one that is what you want all of them to be like. That would be your "master" file for this purpose, whether you call it that or not.

As far as a way to speed up this process by not having to perform multiple comparisons, I don't know whether some software tool is available for that.

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

When I type fc /? in a Command Prompt, it shows that it can only compare 2 files.

Anyway, comparing more than 2 files will be rather difficult if there is no designated master file. Showing differences from all other compare files will result in a total mess, especially if the differences are not so slight.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Perhaps this program.
    Diffuse is able to compare an arbitrary number of files side-by-side and gives users the ability to manually adjust line-matching and directly edit files.
    http://diffuse.sourceforge.net/
    check the screenshots (shown in Linux and Windows)

6. fantabulous

fantabulous Private E-2

No. They should not be identical but similar in certain aspects. You are right. I should make 1 file the master.

I have beyond compare & total comander as comparison tools

7. fantabulous

fantabulous Private E-2

You are absolutely right. This is going to be a messy affair if I do not make 1 file the master.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds