"compress File To Save Disk Space" Does Nothing?

Discussion in 'Software' started by nvrsbr@netzero.com, Jan 14, 2017.

1. nvrsbr@netzero.com

nvrsbr@netzero.com Private E-2

first off allow me to correct the title " compress CONTENTS ..."

so it seems pretty straight forward "compress contents to save disk space" check the box and so it shall be done. but when i check this box and "apply" the size changeth not. same goes for right click-send to-compressed zip folder except for when i do this it at least says its compressing but when i look at the properties of the newly created zip folder the size is the same as the regular folder from which it originated. am i missing something? it would appear that i must be. can someone please enlighten me?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

By compressing a folder of text files from 356 KB to 255 KB, about a 40% reduction.There is no real benefit if your HD or SSD is fast.If you do it with a SSD it might shorten the life span of the SSD.

So end case point.

There is no real benefit to compressing a Hard drive.It's best to save a little cash and get a external hard drive which you can get one at Walmart for around 60 dollars for a Terabyte.

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/external-hard-drives

3. EJB

EJB Corporal

Your Walmart link gives me an error, in Chinese....very odd!
    Second time it now gives me a search option?

4. Anon-469e6fb48c

Huh what browser are you using.

5. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Link works okay for me. 8.1 and IE11.

Although not listed on that page, I recently got a WD MyPassPort 1TB on a rollback for 59$. USB3 with the adapter cable. Been a good drive.

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It works fine for me. Sounds like you may have adware/PUPs on your system.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Walmart link shows up fine on a Win 7 computer in Palemoon browser.

8. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Link shows fine in Win 10 and Firefox too. First item is a WD 1 TB for $52.99.

9. Anon-469e6fb48c

Agreed normally if it comes up like that it would most likely be a Pup or adware.

I would recommend on a Malwarebytes scan and a SUPER Anti Spyware.

Malwarebytes
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/malwarebytes_anti_malware.html

SUPER Anti Spyware
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/superantispyware_free.html

And clean out your Temp Folder.

To open the temp folder, Click Start,Go to search,Than in search Type --->> %temp% And then remove and delete and items are in that folder 99% of the time it's just junk ware left be hind from installing programs.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds