Compressing downloaded DS games

Discussion in 'Software' started by greybuffalo, Jan 1, 2010.

1. greybuffalo

greybuffalo Staff Sergeant

Which is the best working form to compress downloaded Nintendo DS games in order to maximise amount of games on a memory card?

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Um... someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the use of memory card cartridges for a DS illegal in the US...?

3. greybuffalo

Re: Compressing downloaded games

Let me rephrase that,Which is the best working form to compress downloaded games in order to maximise amount of games on a memory card?
    This site that takes a subscription should be looked at,as it allows unlimited games to be downloaded:cry

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2010
  4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Mimsy

All I do know in this subject is the card is not illegal but the ROMs that go on it most likely are, I'm not upto speed on US law on this and ROMs in general, so passed the legalities of this onto the other admins.

5. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I did some digging. Apparently it is okay to own the ROM of a game if you own the original. same as with music or movies, it is okay to download them, if you own the original. It's downloading things you haven't paid for that is a major no-no.

I'm happy to give the OP the benefit of doubt, especially since there are a lot of open-source games available for DS gamecards/cartridges that are released straight into public domain by their creators. (If a moderator or admin disagrees with me and would rather this subject is dropped, all you have to do is say the word. Your house, your rules.)

So, greybuffalo, why do you need to fit as many as possible on the card? I'm asking because the reason for why will help us find the best solution. Going somewhere without computer access for six months? Out of space on the card and the only available microSD's in your region would cost you a kidney? :)

6. greybuffalo

Im just asking a question,not into games myself(in my fifties)
    Trying to keep up with everything(technology),trying to understand bones, my son throws at me.
    How should I get to know about all this subject,I read about them on forums and some, I do not comprehend,I normally ask here.:innocent
    Also one can buy any of those blank cards on any Ebay worldwide

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would be very suspicious of that link you posted that I removed as my reading of their page and the disclaimer is not good, you have no comeback on them as they are only a link site just like daemonoid or The Pirate Bay, they are dispite their blurb offering copyrighted stuff, they dont host, the downloads are likely off p2p or a file host, like Megauploads, Hotfile etc

Just a friendly heads up as what you do is upto you but, I'd not give them any of my money, espeically as they dont list any company adress or phone # for you to query anything.

Yes the R4 cards are not illegal, its just as I said potentially what you put on them.

As far as I know the SuperCard and its app allows a trim command to reduce the size, but dont have one and know if the games would run ok in compressed format.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds