Computer Awakes and Crashes to Blue Screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by thedon01, Jan 21, 2013.

1. thedon01

thedon01 Corporal

I have a relatively new PC build (July 2012). After recently updating a lot of drivers via Driver Genius i experienced 2 crashes. This is my first time dealing with this issue and would appreciate some guidance in solving the problem. Let me go into further detail.

Specs:
    Windows 7 pro 64bit
    32GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance 8x4GB)
    256GB SSD for OS and drivers (Crucial)
    (3) 1TB Internal HDD (WD Black Caviar)
    (2) External HDD (WD)
    ASUS IV Rampage Extreme Motherboard
    NVidia Geforce GTX 580 Video Card
    Intel i7 3820

Breakdown of Problem:
    2 days ago i used Driver Genius to check for driver updates and it came back with an astonishing 87 drivers out of date. I proceeded to update all the drivers which included Bluetooth, Chipsets, Rapid Storage, Intel Networks, Asmedia host and sata controller, Logitech Setpoint, Realtek Audio, and NVIDIA Geforce Display Drivers.

Everything seemed to install correctly and i didn't notice any problems. Yesterday when my computer went to sleep (Scheduled) it awoke itself after approx: 5 minutes to the user sign in screen. Once i clicked to sign in the computer crashed to the blue screen.

It restarted and i thought that the video card drivers may not have installed properly so i checked NVidia's website.

I tried to use their auto check to scan my system and a "browser plugin error" occurred stating that i needed to enable Java. I did so and the problem persisted. I checked with Java and they were unable to determine if Java was running yet my programs list display Java 7 u11 installed. I manually uninstalled and downloaded JAVA 7u11 and installed; same problem kept on repeating itself.

I then manually downloaded the Geforce drivers and installed them. They installed correctly. I let the computer go back to sleep and the same exact crash related problem occurred a 2nd time. The crash only seems to occur after the computer goes to sleep.

What I've done:
    1. I've followed this thread on MS website.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/d5c2b98b-49cb-4c89-ab1c-bf174b48b463
    A. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.
    B. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".
    C. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.

2. There's now a folder on my desktop with 2 Dump Files

3. I made a thread at that site last night and haven't heard any responses.

4. I've googled and came across a program called "Who Crashed" that was to analyze the dump files. The report is as follows:
    file:///C:/Users/David/Desktop/WhoCrashedOutput.htm

If there's anything else needed on my part please let me know and any help on fixing this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to assist!

2. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. thedon01

thedon01 Corporal

.dmp files aren't valid files to attach, according to "manage attachments"

4. cipher

Can you zip them them?

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Rule of thumb: never update a driver unless you are having a specific problem.

As far as updating 87 drivers in one sitting, that is asking for trouble. I only do Windows patches in small doses when I'm updating a computer that hasn't been updated in years. That way, it is easier to pinpoint the few files that might be causing a problem.

I hope you created a restore point before you installed all the drivers. I'd suggest to return the computer to that state and install only a few drivers, IF you really are having computer problems.

6. thedon01

thedon01 Corporal

there's the zip, hope it works. and i will remember that tip from this point on. wasn't aware of it prior. yes there were some restore points created via driver genius prior to updating some drivers.

Attached Files:

7. thedon01

thedon01 Corporal

from looking at driver genius i may not have backed up the original drivers pre update.

8. cipher

Your dump file tells me it is driver related. Plodr's advice is sound: Do one driver at a time IF you are having troubles with a device. Then you can roll it back if need be, or track down one driver to reinstall.

That said, I would follow Plodr's advice again and do a system restore.

9. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Uninstall this:
    wdcsam64.sys Wed Apr 16 09:39:08 2008 (4805BB2C)
    Western Digital SCSI Arcitecture Model (SAM) WDM driver 2008 driver version has known BSOD issues in Win7
    http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=wdcsam64.sys (presumably installed by Driver 'Genius'? You may need to track it down in Device Manager, View > Show hidden devices > Non-Plug and Play Drivers and uninstall it from there; a reboot will be needed immediately (and a BSOD may happen)!

If the above doesn't solve it, first rollback the SATA drivers in Device Manager (if you can) and then reboot and check/update the firmware on your Crucial M4.

If that fails, carefully follow these instructions to collect further data for analysis, attach the needed file(s) here - there's a limit of 2GB for zips, you may need to split the data into 2/3 zips.

10. thedon01

thedon01 Corporal

i thought a restore point was created, but the drivers weren't backed up so i can't roll back to them, can i? I'm assuming that a system restore can be done regardless, but i'm a novice when it comes to this.

In regards to Satrow:

I followed the first paragraph, but haven't found said driver.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  11. satrow

Windows is likely to have a stash of drivers, try rolling back - but get rid of that 'bad' driver first.

EDIT: the 'bad' driver was loaded during both crashes, run the BSOD collection app (don't omit to run it 'as Administrator') and upload the zip(s), I'll try to track it down from there.

12. thedon01

thedon01 Corporal

do i need to dl the app?

http://sysnative.com/0x8/BSOD_Windows7_Vista_v2.64_jcgriff2_.exe - correct?

13. thedon01

thedon01 Corporal

After looking in System Restore i found a restore point on 1-19-13 that was "before installing new drivers". there's actually 4 restore points on that date with the same description. I'm assuming i would use the earliest restore point with that description. Am i correct?

14. cipher

I was talking about a Windows System Restore, not any restore the driver update software may have created.

Go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

go to the To use System Restore heading.

15. cipher

Yes, use the earliest one...

16. thedon01

thedon01 Corporal

should i proceed with the restore before the removal of the bad driver? Will the system restore get rid of the bad driver?

17. satrow

Yes, and Autoruns, follow the post carefully please.

EDIT:
    Try the Restore first ;)

18. thedon01

thedon01 Corporal

okay, i will proceed with the system restore now > then check the same sleep procedure to see if the problem persists. Will post the results shortly.

19. thedon01

thedon01 Corporal

i did the earliest system restore on 1/19/12 > allowed PC to sleep and it did not wake itself up and there hasn't been an BSOD.

It appears like things are working correctly. Thank you to all that helped, Satrow, Cipher, and Plodr.

My next question is in regards to updating these drivers in the future. Do i proceed to use a program like Driver Genius (which is far more convenient than searching and updating each driver individually) or is there a better and safer way?

I was always under the impression that drivers need to be up to date.

20. thedon01

thedon01 Corporal

Especially when it comes to custom built computers

21. cipher

This advice still holds:

I use SlimDrivers There is a good tutorial there...

Remember Plodr's advice: When you need to, and one at a time. (If I paraphrased correctly)

22. thedon01

thedon01 Corporal

i like that program it looks very simple to understand, i'm going to dl it. How would i know if "i needed" to update my drivers? Meaning how does one know whether or not to update?

23. cipher

I subscribe to the school of thought that sez: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

As the video tutorial said, gamers might need to have the absolute latest drivers for performance reasons. Others maybe not so much...

Driver updates are in large part driven by software updates, i.e. an app you're running comes out with a major new release or upgrade that utilizes the hardware differently than the previous version. On a 64 bit machine using legacy 32 bit software, this may happen if you upgrade to a new 64 bit version of the app. I would look to update when performance became a problem for me. Of course upgrading or adding new hardware will almost surely require new or updated drivers, but that can be done as required.

Many new hardware peripherals will come with a driver CD for you to install, printers for example...

The choice is yours of course. Nothing inherently wrong with keeping bleeding edge drivers on your machine, but if they break your system or cause performance issues, be prepared to rollback the driver via the Device Manager. As you have seen, a restore point, or any of a number of rollback solutions, is mighty handy.

Hope this was helpful... :)

24. thedon01

thedon01 Corporal

very helpful, thank you very much

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds