computer beeping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ericnumnutz, Apr 12, 2006.

1. ericnumnutz

ericnumnutz Private E-2

I have a compaq desktop
    serial number 6x2c-kn9z-w0ys
    p4 windows xp pro

machine just beeps 3 times once and nothing else
    1short 2 long
    i can not find any info on this sequence of beeps
    pc has two memory chips ddr i pulled each one out individually and did not make a difference. its onboard video. i disconnected everything hard drive cd rom machine just makes that beep sequence.... anyone have info on this. Please help

eric

2. aleem

aleem Private E-2

This indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information. Check the video adapter and ensure it's seated properly. If possible, replace the video adapter.

3. ericnumnutz

ericnumnutz Private E-2

Like I said the video is on board. can i just put a pci card in and will that take over? thanks

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

It should let you get to the BIOS. Once there disable onboard video if it has that option.

5. aleem

aleem Private E-2

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] Some motherboards with onboard graphics have jumpers to control whether it's active or not and sometimes the information is in tiny print somewhere in the vicinity of the jumpers. Or there may be a feature in BIOS to disable it. If neither of these options are available then it could be that installing the PCI video card will override the onboard graphics. [/FONT]

6. ericnumnutz

ericnumnutz Private E-2

thanks for the suggestions, you guys are great!
    however I plugged in a pci video card and I get the same result. one short beep then two long beeps and the monitor does not go on. I am just going to tell my customer the board is bad and hopefully get them to purchase a new system. the system is about 3 years old and compaq is well compaq not worth putting money into in my opinion. thanks again

Eric
    www.numnutz.com

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds