Computer Beeping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shizoku, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Shizoku

Shizoku Private E-2

Recently I was playing Final Fantasy XI when I heard a noise that apparently came from my computer. At first I thought something had fallen of my shelf, but when I saw nothing was amiss and my game screen locked up I realized it must have been my computer. The keyboard and mouse had locked up and my computer was making 4 monotone beeping noises in a row (all the same length).

I restarted by way of the power button and my computer was going very slow. I tried to start the game again but Windows Installer Dialogue Box came up and sat there for about 15 minutes...

At this point I powered down and went to sleep thinking maybe it needed to cool down. Ten hours later I turn it on and the same thing happens. I searched for a similar beeping pattern online but couldn't find anything.

Just recently I turned it on and it tells me "A disk read error has occured".

Also:

Warning: Dell's disk monitoring system has detected that drive 0 on the primary EIDE is operating outside of normal specifications. It is advisible to immediatly back up your data and replace your hard disk drive by calling your support desk or Dell Computer Corp.

Dell Dimension 8200
    Bios Revision A05
    2.26 Ghz
    512Ram
    80GB HD
    Windows XP

As far as I know I can't get the computer to start up so I can back up my files, and when I can its so slow it is hardly possible. Any ideas?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Can you boot from a floppy disk or CD-ROM and access your hard drive that way?

4. Shizoku

Shizoku Private E-2

Actually, I managed to get back on normally after a few trys. Right now I'm in the process of backing up a few files.

5. Shizoku

Shizoku Private E-2

I get this stop now when I try to start up the computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x823DA900, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Your computer will not boot returning the error "Unmountable boot Volume". This is usually caused by a corrupt "BOOT.INI" file.

SOLUTION 1

Access the recovery console. (This is the first repair option you get after you boot off the Windows XP CD (To see where this menu is Click here), unfortunately some OEM CD's (Or recovery CD's) do not have this option), but if you download the Windows XP boot disks you will be able to use the Console.

Download XP boot disks from here (May require 6 blank floppy disks)

Once you log into the recovery console type the following command "CHKDSK /F" or "CHKDSK /P". Once the scan is complete then reboot the computer. You should be able to log into Windows.

Your computer will not boot returning the error "Unmountable boot Volume". This is usually caused by a corrupt "BOOT.INI" file.

SOLUTION 2

This option tends to be very successful.

Quite simply take the Hard Drive out of your computer, then go to a friends house, that is a friend who owns a Windows XP computer, and with permission open up his/hers computer, disconnect their CD-Rom drives, and plug your hard drive in with theirs, of course make sure the cable is seated correctly and that the power connector is plugged in.

Your friend computer will now boot up and run Chkdsk before it logs into Windows, let this run & complete.

Take your Hard Drive home and test. This method has a good success rate.

SOLUTION 4 - "Autochk.exe cannot be Found"

If you get an error in relation to a missing "autochk.exe" file when running chkdsk, then do the following at command prompt:

Type:

CD C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

Now try the "CHKDSK /F" or "CHKDSK /P" command again.

Microsoft solutions:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555302
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297185

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000630.htm

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds