Computer beeps and monitor flickers when playing games

Discussion in 'Software' started by HyPer50, Jan 10, 2008.

1. HyPer50

HyPer50 Private E-2

My computer has been acting kind of weird when playing games as of late, no specific games, just NEW games. Everquest 2, it doesnt, but then TFC2, Need for speed prostreet, and World in Conflict it does... Anyways, the problem: After being in the game for 5 minutes or so, my speakers do this beep every few seconds and when it does, the screen freezes for a second. The beep sounds exactly like the speaker in the computer when you hold down too many keys or something...

I thought it may have been that my CPU was overheating, but I went out and bought a much better fan/heatsink and it still does it. Anyways, the specs of the system are:

Intel E6600 Core Duo
    4gig of ram
    ATI Radeon X1800 512mb

I also checked the video card fan and it is working fine and blowing out hot air out the back.. I have the newest drivers from ATI also. Really not sure what the problem could be. Any advice please?

2. HyPer50

HyPer50 Private E-2

Anybody got any clue what could be wrong?

3. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

With those symptoms, on such a new rig, I'd be looking at available power. Either the power supply is underated on the 12 volt rail, or else the auxilliary power connector has come loose. When you inspect that cable make sure it is fed directly from the power supply. If it's daisy-chained via your DVD drive, for instance, the DVD laser can consume those much needed Amps at certain power critical momemts, when your video card is madly number crunching.:)

4. Copoboxx

Copoboxx Private E-2

I have the same problem exactly same.. i bought my pc a year ago and when playing games (this started 2-3 days ago) when playing the latest games with high video settings i get the problem :(
    i got E6600 C2D
    3gig ram
    ATI Radeon X1700 512mb

When i updated my gfx card driver when it beeps and the monitor flickers i get the ATI Thermal protection warning saying my GFX Card is running above safe temperature.. I cleaned my Fans and they are working fine and im still having this problem.. Is this a fault on the GFX Card?

5. HyPer50

HyPer50 Private E-2

Copo, my problem ended up being the cheap power supply I had bought not even a year earlier, so I went and put a little more money into a name brand one and it's ran great. That may be your problem as well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds