Computer Boot-up really slow!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by a49ers4009, Nov 8, 2010.

1. a49ers4009

a49ers4009 Private E-2

I went through the whole malware removal forum and did everything the guy said to do and he says my issues may be software related not Malware related can someone please help. Boot-up time is taking forever

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Download and install WinPatrol.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinPatrol_d3380.html

Once installed, go to "Scottie" in the lower right and check on your Startup listing.
    Too many programs add themselves here when they don't need to be.
    Causes a major boot time slowdown.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

You need to minimise the programs starting at boot, use the software suggested by hrlow2 or Kestrel13.

After a quick scan of some of your earlier logs, I see that your C drive is pretty full at 90%, that's likely to have a very negative effect on the PC's speed. I suggest you move your "My Documents" folder to the D drive, also do this for the other login account and you should free up a significant amount of space, allowing for a good defrag to regain some of the lost performance.
    I also noticed that Outlook has crashed several times; this program is a major drain on resources if the PST file is very large (400MB+). You may be able to reduce its size and gain some speed by optimising it. First, make sure you have KB933493 installed then split your Outlook PST using Method 3. You can create the new folder(s) on the D drive to continue the free space cleanup.

You will also need to look into any errors that are in the System and Applications management logs, anything that crashes may result in the Windows Error Reporter (WER) kicking in, this can be a big slowdown in itself.

4. pattyandme

pattyandme Private E-2

dont know what anti virus you are using mine is MSE and it runs a scan at every boot up

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Satrow has great ideas there and do try them out, as hrlow2 mentions the amount of startups you have can cause a slowness in your boot time, and Winpatrol is ok to use, but I tend to use the one Kestrel posted HERE for you.

Having a look down your startups the following can be disabled, but first off boot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot) and does your PC load quicker or the same?

The startups I would disable are

eAudio.exe (Acers audio control panel, can use this from the Windows Control panel if needed, volume which is the main used control can be found on the speaker icon in the system tray the other controls once set to your liking are hardly used IMO)
    igfxtray.exe (Intel graphics card control panel, not needed as you can right click on desktop and choose properties to get to the graphics CP)
    igfxpers.exe (see above on Intel Graphics)
    ACE1.exe or Acer Product Registration (delete this entry)
    Reminder.exe (Acer Tour reminder, a tour of your PC, great when new and out of the box but a worthless startup now, delete this)
    RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER (rRealPlayer, startup, not needed at boot if you want RealPlayer to run then just start it from the Programs menu list)
    PMVService.exe (Acer play Movie startup again not needed at startup, manually start if and when you need it)
    iTunesHelper.exe (iTunes helper, never actually worked out what the hell this does in reality and I have an iPod Touch and iPhone and they work ok with iTunes without this startup)
    Reader_sl.exe (Adobe Reader speed launcher, not needed)
    AdobeARM.exe (Adobe Arm, not needed, will manually start when an app programmed in it is launched)
    YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet (disable as its only needed to start when you manually run it when you need this app)

Possibles if you use the technology application are
    eDSloader.exe (Acers encrypting data app, do you encrypt data on your PC if not its not needed)
    LManager.exe (Acers customisable keys app)

I see you have Superantispyware installed, is this the Pro version or free as it may conflict with Avast if Superantispyware is the pro version that runs in the background, thus Avast and SAS will be scanning at the same time, so disable superantispyware as a test after you have done all of the above to see if this being disabled speeds up your startup.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds