Computer boots to POST twice before proceeding as normal.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Incarnation, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Incarnation

Incarnation Private E-2

Hey everyone, I'm on my desktop computer and I've been recently experiencing a problem with the boot sequence.
    When I power my computer on, it reaches the point of the BEEP for the POST screen but no signal is sent to my monitor; then, after a short delay (I suppose 5-10 seconds) it performs another BEEP for the POST screen but this time everything proceeds as normal.

This has started to happen often when I power on my computer, but since the period it began to behave this way, it still does sometimes manage to boot to the POST screen with only one BEEP and proceed without problems from that point as if everything were normal. There doesn't seem to be any consistent pattern to the ratio of times it boots correctly and the times it has this problem.

I don't believe this is caused by any poorly inserted modules (RAM / GPU) or poorly inserted connectors. I've checked them and they are all plugged in correctly.

Has anyone experienced this before? If anyone can inform me as to the nature of the problem I would be grateful. If you have a solution, that would be great too.

The hardware specifications of my computer follow:
    Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D
    Power supply: OCZ "Fatal1ty" 550w PSU
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 2.4GHz
    RAM: 2GB OCZ DDR2 800 [or 533, don't remember] (can't remember the exact model...)
    GPU: NVidia 512MB GT8800

Thank you in advance!

2. kench

kench Private First Class

maybe your vid card is wonking out...

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Perhaps there's an issue with your BIOS being corrupted. Boot into BIOS by hitting delete continuously and F5 to restore defaults and F10 to accept and exit. This is only a guess and won't hurt anything to try. Have both POST screens looked the same?

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Can you post a video of the machine booting up. Also, look in the logs for the OS under admin tools > Performance monitor. Also, run a S.M.A.R.T. utility, that will tell you how your hard drive is running. ActiveSMART is a good one, which you can download from the file section of majorgeeks.com.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds