Computer Can't Shutdown Automatically

Discussion in 'Software' started by Asymptote, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Asymptote

Asymptote Private E-2

For the past few months my Windows XP system will not shut down by itself. On shutdown, I get the "Windows is shutting down..." screen. Eventually, the mouse shuts off and there is one hard click (the hard disk parking or powering down). It appears that for the most part, the system is shutdown, however, power never shuts off. I am stuck at the "Windows is shutting down" screen with no mouse.

Every once in a while, I will get a blue screen after this point: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION which has been suggested implies a hardware problem.

My question is, what is the next piece of hardware that shuts off during power down after the hard disk? I want to look into its condition.

All of my hardware seems fine: RAM, video card, sound card, HD and I haven't been experiencing any problems except this one.

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I'd download and run diagnostic programs for the hard drive and RAM as these are most likely the cause, or the motherboard. A few motherboard manufacturers have diagnostic tools for the boards; check your MB maker's web site and see if one is available. It could also be that Windows is hanging up due to faulty unloading of user profiles. Check this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837115/en-us and download the UPH Clean tool from the link near the bottom of the article.... good luck, and let us know what happens.

hd2k

BTW- you can get free RAM diagnostic programs in the Memory section here at MajorGeeks (I prefer the bootable ones) and the hard drive diagnostic can be found in the Drive Utilities section, or at your hard drive maker's web site....

3. Deputy Van Halen

Deputy Van Halen Private E-2

I have a very similar problem to this guy, so I thought I'd post here. I too get stuck at the "Windows is Shutting Down..." screen. In fact, a few times I left it there overnight and it was still stuck there a day later.

But for me the problem is intermittent. It happens maybe once every three or four shut downs. And I never get the "machine check exception" screen that this guy mentioned.

Would you give me the same advice as this other guy?

4. SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks Private E-2

5. haud_termino

haud_termino Private E-2

Check this - go to control panel - Power Options Properties - Advanced tab and look what is showen in under Power buttons in the drop down list, if needed change to Shut down. :)

6. Asymptote

Asymptote Private E-2

Haha, that would simplify shutting off the computer improperly... :D

I think I may have found the problem...just haven't tried the solution yet. Another thread suggested checking the event log and there were tons of errors about the HD controller. *sigh* I am cursed when it comes to HDs...I can't get one to last more than like a year and a half. I ran a SMART test from the manufacturer's software and it failed. So now I am backing up. I don't think there is anything wrong with the disk...it works great...just the friggin controller (this seems to happen a lot more to me than the actual disk failing).

Once I back up I will disconnect it and see if it will shut down.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds